What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show Planes Flap Positioning System and Infinity Control Sticks

The wires out of the control box have you put power to the two position switch to activate the retract and extend function. That still requires full power going thru the switch. The question then is, how much current does this draw and can the Infinity switches handle it without a relay???

Be careful.

If you are talking about dual switches (one in each stick, or one on the panel and one on a stick), do not use switches that have a non-momentary position, which is usually used for the flaps "up" position. If your flap switches stay in the "up" position after release and you leave it there on one of the flap switches, then it will override any subsequent flaps "down" command on the other flap switch.

The flap switch supplied with the Show Planes Flap Position System (SP FPS) has a momentary "down" position (meaning it will return to the middle, or "off", position after release), and an non-momentary "up" position (which will remain in that position after release).

In normal operation with the SP FPS, with a single flap switch, to set the flaps in a down position you momentarily depress the flap switch to the "down" position, and the flaps will continue to deflect to the first setting even after you release the switch, then if you momentarily depress the "down" position again, the flaps will deflect to the next down setting, etc. To retract the flaps, you simply place the flap switch to the "up" position and leave it there and the flaps will fully retract and stop automatically when fully retracted, but the switch will remain in the "up" position unless you move it to the "off" position.

If you want to use dual flap switches with the SP FPS, you need to install toggle switches with only momentary "on" positions (sometimes shown as (on)-off-(on) vs. on-off-(on) -- "(on)" meaning momentary). If you do this, then you will need to hold the switch in the "up" position until the flaps are fully retracted. If you release the switch from the "up" position before they are full retracted, the flaps position will remain where they are when you release the switch. The momentary down commands will operate normally.

For this reason (and the potential for unintended flaps actuation) I installed my SP FPS with a single switch near the throttle, and no flap switches on the Infinity grips.

I hope this is clear.

BTW: the flap switch(es) has to be able to handle 1 amp, which the Infinity Grip switches (and most panel swithes) will handle with no problem.

Last edited:
I decided to not go with this system for all the reasons pointed out here. Instead, I decided that the TCW made more sense--for my application. Offers accepted on the unused Van's FPS/Showplane setup for a RV 4/6/7/9?

I think I'll just stck with the stock switch in the panel for the reasons you enumerated. Thanks!

Not Quite

The wires out of the control box have you put power to the two position switch to activate the retract and extend function. That still requires full power going thru the switch. The question then is, how much current does this draw and can the Infinity switches handle it without a relay???

There are three connections to the Showplanes control box. One is power (does not go through your stick switch), and the other two are the extend and retract inputs (they do go thru the stick switch).

If you would like to know how much current these lines draw, contact Bryan

[email protected]

Don

Show Planes FPS system

I've installed the flap position system, and it works except it will not shut off in the retract position, Ive tried adjusting the rod to different positions to no avail, any ideas?

I've installed the flap position system, and it works except it will not shut off in the retract position, Ive tried adjusting the rod to different positions to no avail, any ideas?

Contact Brian at Show Planes. It might be a faulty control box.

I just finished up installation of the Show Planes FPS yesterday. I originally had the flap switch on the panel but decided to move it to the Infinity grip.

I like the one handed operation of having the flaps on the stick, hard to break the muscle memory of 7 years of reaching for the flaps on the panel though.

Back