What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EXPBUS2 and Van's 60A Alternator

KazooRV-9A

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm currently wiring my RV-9A FF, and have the Plane Power 60A IR alternator.
My panel (it came with the project from a previous builder) uses the EXPBUS2 DC load center and I notice that it has a load rating for the alternator input, of 40Amps.
Has anyone noticed this also, and is there a way to properly mate the 60A alternator to the load center? For instance, simply fuse the alternator lead at 40A before the EXPBUS?
If so, What fuse to use and where best to mount it?
I think I've seen discussions of installations of 60A alternators just wired to the EXPBUS...by the Control Vision spec sheet, this exceeds the panel rating.

What is your total electrical load? As long as it is under 40 amps, no problem. You just cant draw more than 40 through it. None of the output circuits are going to allow 60 amps to flow through the buss. The only issue would be if the buss shorted to ground, and at that point I don't think there is much difference between 40 and 60 amps. I personally would not put a fuse in-line to handle this situation because it adds more failure points.

The Expbus is not being supported anymore.
I just removed one from a flying airplane with failure issues.
There is no troubleshooting or repair parts available.
Best to use something else or the standard buss arrangement.
My .02.

OK good point. I don't readily know my total load, will have to add that up. If with everything on, we can't draw more (without a major short) than 40 amps, then there's no issue. It's a VFR plane with a single GRT Sport display, I'm thinking total draw should be less than 40A. The Aerotronics wiring diagram did show a fuse/CB in the alternator main feed.

I understand that the device isn't supported anymore, but holy cow, would be quite a job to replace it now,,,, It's integral to the Aerotronics panel I have. I've seen good and bad reports on them. To change now would be awful. Worse to do so later,,,, I get it.

IMG_5411%20resized_zpsk5m3q8rb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

just looking at your panel you shouldn't be approaching 40A, unless you have thirsty lights or other equipment.

I installed and used an Expbus 2 on a Varieze for a couple of years and was very happy, no issues at all. Pity if it ain't supported nor manufactured anymore, thought it was a clever piece of electronics, and way cheaper than Vertical's offerings...

Back