What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flapper disc for deburring

Flapper

Not for deburring but I did use one on my angle grinder for lots of other stuff. Removes a ton of material really fsst. I wouldn't use one for deburring for that reason. Removes too much too fast. Try it on scrap and see if it works for you.

Use them all the time - use an 80 grit one in a pillar drill. They groove badly but work well for long pieces.

What I do

I did 100% of my edge deburing with Scotchbrite wheels on angle grinder. Also if you know what your doing, deburing thin sheet holes it works like a charm without hurting the Alclad (except if polishing). Over deburing the holes is the worst thing you can do as it reduces the shear load strength. My 90 degree and Scotchbrite is the go-to-tool for me. I used flapper type sanders for some radius work, but the flat wheels are way better. Once you get the feel you can rock and roll.

Which scotch bright wheel?

https://images.app.goo.gl/DPLLJWp5dwuu9r7g6
DPLLJWp5dwuu9r7g6

Like this type of wheel?

Last edited:
To add:
Scotchbrite EXL wheels behave very differently depending on RPM. I have the same wheel mounted on a grinder @3600 RPM and one mounted on a buffer @1800 RPM. The buffer at 1800 RPM works great for deburring and is one of the most used things in my shop. I use the Scotchbrite wheel at 3600 RPM to clean up the tungsten for TIG welding; it doesn't deburr as well as the other.

And if one really wants even better the Scotchbrite Finishing Flap wheel (CF-FB) on a buffer (1800 RPM) is super for the last bit of deburring and general clean-up. The only downside is that they wear out fairly quickly.

I use both; usually starting with the EXL wheel then final finish with the Finishing Flap wheel. On top of that, sometimes putting a Scotchbrite pad on an orbital sander is super handy too. I did all my flat sheets with this before finishing (etch, alodine, prime, paint). (by orbital sander I mean Jitterbug; NOT a DA).

The flat Scothcbrite pads.

I use the 2" and 3" flat pads that go on the 1/4 turn mandrels. I prefer them over the large barrel type, which don't always behave on a high speed grinder. The Red colored pads are the best all around "grit" and the Blues will get things a little smoother. There are many different Scothbrite products, and I have most of them in my arsenal, however the flat discs will do nearly everything. I have been using them for 40 years, and I have tried a handful of other products, but always come back the flat disc.

I used flapper wheels on a drill press. It let me have more control of the pieces and I could turn the wheel at slow speeds.

Back