What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tilt up Canopy or Slider

If you decide to go with a slider, one of the difficult jobs is drilling the UHMW blocks that hold the slider pins on each side in the locked position. Steve Melton has printed a holder/guide to make this chore incredibly easy. All you do is put the block in the holder (left and right are the same size) and drill through one of the guide holes into the block. There are two guide holes, one for left, one for right, set at the correct angle. Local builder Bill Duffy is building an RV7 and RV9 side by side in his shop. I was at his shop last Saturday and got to see his slider canopy installations. They both slide easily and close like a bank vault. Those guides helped make it all work out very precisely.

Don't over analyze this because you won't get all the data. If you lean to a slider, get one.

I have a tipper, and got it to fit nicely all the way around. I think it is hard to seal, difficult to fit but I thought that about everything until learning how to do it and was finished each stage of the build.

I have others remark about the TU visibility, then after a 3 hr flight in the sun, they say man that sun can be brutal. The pendulum swings both ways.

Flaws in each?, yes: pros & cons?, yes': but both are RV's and the least of your worries in flying either of them.

If you have specific questions, or expectations, about either to fit your requirements, sound off. You will get better info. It will depend on your mission and expectations, and of course YMMV.

I built a tipper because, after 2069 hours flying backseat in F-4 Phantoms with zero forward visibility, my intro flight with Joe Blank in the factory tipper just blew me away. I LOVE the completely unobstructed forward vis, and with no canopy bow to make formation turning rejoins that much more difficult.

BUT, having the tipper canopy tipped open on a hot Texas day just doesn't allow the breeze to come in like a slider does. The slider feels cooler on the ground, just as I suppose it looks cooler. We work around that.

As for shade, either way, ya got-ta got-ta got-ta have a Koger sunshade in either version (tipper or slider).

One other thing: If you're building a tailwheel 7, the tipper may get in the way of cockpit ingress/egress. Having said that, MANY tailwheel 7s have tippers.

Go fly in a 7(A) with examples of each canopy and decide. Then build what you want...you'll love it either way.

For sure personal preference.

I am a tipper guy myself, they are a bit more difficult to seal from rain, especially around the avionics. I still prefer it though.

I built an early tip up -6 when the slider was not yet available. I loved it and added the gas struts which greatly increased the rigidity. No doubt the visibility is superb. After I sold the -6, a good deal on a -7 QB kit became available, despite being a slider I couldn't pass it up.
Having built and flown both I will offer my 2 cents. Visibility: Hands down for the tip up. Ventilation: Slider clear winner. Construction difficulty: Probably a toss up, both have their challenges. Sealing water and air leaks: Tip up forward seal can be problematic, however rear skirt on slider is challenging. Tip up offers superior access to avionics, however increased chances of water damage. Entry/exit/baggage: Hard to beat the slider, especially if Supertracks installed (highly recommended). The glareshield brace makes a nice assist and can be a handy brace in turbulence. Watch the wind when opening the tip up. Rollover/Egress: Both offer limited options here, however forward roll bar on slider may offer additional frontal protection. Canopy breaker tool a must. Birdstrike Protection: I feel the slider would fare better in the event of a head on birdstrike by virtue of the more rigid separate windscreen and integral rollbar. Canopy Ejection/Removal: Provided the ejection mechanism is installed, pull the handle and the tip up is gone. Exiting the slider in-flight is a bit of an unknown, it would likely also be gone but not quite as graceful. Removing the slider canopy on the ground is a simple 1 man job, removing the tip up will require a helper.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably go with the slider, but I'm still jealous of you tip up guys.

Last edited:
Slider

Never messed with a tipper but I finally finished my slider skirt. Cut & buff yesterday. All bonded with Sika. Only one hole for the latch and no fasteners on the skirt. Looks nice.
If you build a slider, lay up a one piece skirt. Fit is awesome. No big deal drilling the blocks but a jig mentioned before would help. Mine fit perfect and the canopy locks in place.
Definitely install the Supertracks.

Slider with Super Track mod allows much easier access to the baggage compartment. Also consider installing the seat back mod for taller passengers.

I love them both, but am building a slider. As has been said above- the Supertracks and the Almost a 14 mod.

I am going to take round 3-4 (?) at my back skirts this weekend or next week. Going to try CF/Kevlar this time I think. I just can't get the AL ones to fit right.

Back