What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Integrated RV-14 Introduction Thread

I don't think you missed it, I haven't seen anything of an RV-14 either... What's going on at the Skunkworks? Anyone?

Now I know how those UFO nutters out at Area 51 feel...

We *know* something's going on, but we're not quite sure what and no one's got a photo.......

Yet! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't the (A) part of the 14a indicate both a tri and taildrager? Do sailplanes have both tri and tail wheels?

The reciprocating part kind of rules out an electrical aircraft, doesn't it? Single engine too, by the looks of it. Either way, this is exciting. I am hoping for a high-wing.

composite built

The reciprocating part kind of rules out an electrical aircraft, doesn't it? Single engine too, by the looks of it. Either way, this is exciting. I am hoping for a high-wing.

Just kidding. As for the high wing - who would have ever thought Cessna would build a low wing single? A high wing, fast, back country plane would be pretty tempting!

RV-14???

I knew I should have waited! I haven't even finished the RV-12 yet, and it's obsolete already :(

Wouldn't the (A) part of the 14a indicate both a tri and taildrager? Do sailplanes have both tri and tail wheels?

Yes I considered that but figured the A might refer to a nose wheel.

Note the engine type and model is "unknown". The recip being the default.....

Really this is just playful speculation... Let's not get too serious.

Registered to the COMPANY

Van didn't register his personal airplanes to the company. As I understood it, the motorglider was a personal project and as such, unlikely to be undrwritten by Van's Inc., therefore it's not likely to be registered to Van's Inc.

This is something else. Methinks there is something new. Maybe it's a 912S-powered uprated -12, in non-lsa trim. 'Course a 3 seat -9 would be nice too. :)

Rick 90432

New Forum Needed

Doug, I suggest you start a new "RV-14A" forum for this and subsequent threads. :D

[ed. way ahead of you. dr]

Yes I considered that but figured the A might refer to a nose wheel.

Note the engine type and model is "unknown". The recip being the default.....

Really this is just playful speculation... Let's not get too serious.

Yup, i'm with you. I wasn't being sacastic in my question. I actually don't know, do Sailplanes come in both flavors? I can only recall sailplanes that have some inline lowprofile wheels in the fuse...

Interesting

Wow that is pretty exciting. If it's a new model they are really good at keeping a secret - much better than the gov't.

-6 builders beware!

I think Van's exceeded critical mass on product support sometime ago because of so many models. They can't seem to even spell -4. One more on the line means another one has to fall off! :rolleyes:

Sorry, I didn't get much sleep last night.

It has a Mode S Code, so I would assume they have a Skyview system in it...

Now, can I make a automated camera system that starts snapping pics whenever it sees that code and stick it at the end of UAO? :D

--Bill

I heard it's a electric powered high winged bushplane/glider. useful load 1000#, cruise at 170kts and stalls at 35. prepunched and build time is 120hrs if you count beer breaks.

I heard it's a electric powered high winged bushplane/glider. useful load 1000#, cruise at 170kts and stalls at 35. prepunched and build time is 120hrs if you count beer breaks.

And a complete kit price (including engine / avionics) of $35k?

Sweet! I'll take two! :D

Why have a 4-pace airplane when you can have two 2-place airplanes? At least, that's my justification to the wife for building "another rv6".

Realistically do you think it will be mentioned at Sun N Fun? You know the question will now be brought up so if they don't have plans on talking about it good luck to them. Regardless its very exciting to see whats next out of the factory.

-david

mode s

It has a Mode S Code, so I would assume they have a Skyview system in it...

Now, can I make a automated camera system that starts snapping pics whenever it sees that code and stick it at the end of UAO? :D

--Bill

Mode S is typically assigned during registration

I think VTail88 has it - a certified LSA RV-12.

Last week I overheard an exchange at KMAN (Nampa, near Boise). Someone asked what that was. "Oh, it's the Van's aircraft they're trying to certify." I was busy landing at nearby KEUL. Boy do I wish I'd piped up.

Someone knew enough about Van's products to recognize it as such. So it's not an Area 51 design forthcoming. Since there is a market for LSAs, and the 12 sorta falls together out of the crate in 800 hours, even at a $40/hr burden a factory built 12 would come in at less then $100K. That would do some real damage to the looks-like-an-egg plastic and ragwing competition out there.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Last edited:
The RV-12 is already certified in the LSA category in a form (SLSA, I think) which would permit it to be factory built.

Keep guessing!

Dave

I'm thinking rebranding a 12 to make a 14 for a separate market, like the car mfgrs do. Hearing what I did when I did makes it likely that whatever visited KMAN was on its way to SnF. We'll know soon enough.

John Siebold

Great news!

My RV-9 based bush plane will be on order next week!

Either that or it is an RV-4 replacement.

Or maybe an RV-12 tandem. That's it! A tandem version of the RV-12!

With all the RV1 interest, he found a bunch of old playboys to use as quckbuld fuselages. Match hole tail and wing. You got your self an RV14 "A"if you'd like the wheel up front! :D

or...

Maybe Van's was forced to actually build a cheap, single-place, low & slow airplane to stop Doug from risking his life flying the Legal Eagle he just purchased. He's too valuable to risk flying anything other than a Van's aircraft. :D

Maybe Van's was forced to actually build a cheap, single-place, low & slow airplane to stop Doug from risking his life flying the Legal Eagle he just purchased. He's too valuable to risk flying anything other than a Van's aircraft. :D

Doug has been the insider on many new products for other companies, could Vans have possibly asked him to put his Low and Slow project together to get an estimate of how the RV-14 would sell? 85 or so orders on day one, Not to bad of a marketing plan.

-david

[ed. Sorry to disappoint, but I'm more 'out of the loop' than you might suspect <g>. dr]

What it will be....

Van is a very smart man.... just think about where general aviation is going and put 2 and 2 together. It won't be overpriced.... It will fit nicely in a niche in the market. CNC CAD CAM etc.... What says you? Removable wings? Efficient? What about different modes of power or different fuel sources? I'd say it will be a hit!
Best
Brian
ps... Area 51 is not where it's at..... :)

FTL drive

Vans Aircraft has an new aircraft design with an FTL drive. It's optimized for long cross country trips :)

Back