What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chapter build times

Just trying to figure out if I?m slow, fast or just in the middle (What I am really asking, is how long will it take me to complete the build, 1600, 2000 or 2400+ hours?)

Here are my times so far for the three first empennage chapters:
Chapter 6 (Vertical stabilizer) 27.6 hours
Chapter 7 (Rudder) 33.5 hours
Chapter 8 (H Stabilizer) 35.1

Comparisons and estimates much welcomed.

This is the natural question everyone asks when they start a project. Unfortunately, there are too many variables to answer your question.

For example, Van's stated it would take 2,200 to 2,400 hours to complete a RV-10. I took 3,200 hours. A combination of being slower with my first build, plus the additional tasks of priming and some modifications.

About the only place you may be able to get some type of benchmark is on mykitlog.com. One of the new features that Matt added recently to the web site is to display hours on the entries. You may be able to get some idea of what other builders have done before you. Since the RV-10 is new, you may be able to use RV-10 builders times as a close estimate.

Enjoy building and don't worry about the time now. It will be done on Tuesday. Which Tuesday is the answer to the question that eludes everyone.

bob

Comparison

Just trying to figure out if I?m slow, fast or just in the middle (What I am really asking, is how long will it take me to complete the build, 1600, 2000 or 2400+ hours?)

Here are my times so far for the three first empennage chapters:
Chapter 6 (Vertical stabilizer) 27.6 hours
Chapter 7 (Rudder) 33.5 hours
Chapter 8 (H Stabilizer) 35.1

Comparisons and estimates much welcomed.

My numbers for those three chapters are 18, 24, and 42. With that said, I agree with everything Bob said. For example I to am a first time builder, but I started with the wing and you may have started with the tail. I primed everything and others may not; that changes the time numbers. The best thing I have learned to do is enjoy the process and keep at it a little each day.

Back