Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-13-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
Wow this has been a really interesting thread to read. I keep thinking I'd like to build a Vans RV someday (probably a 14). That said, I have zero building/fabrication skills, so it's always been fairly intimidating to me. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and I've done my fair share of wrenching on motocross bikes (grew up racing), some basic auto work, and plenty of RC airplane building! That said, this is definitely a whole different league! Looks like a lot of fun. I own a Cherokee 140 with my dad and our hangar neighbor is building an RV-14. He showed me some basic riveting work last weekend (riveting, back riveting, nut plates, etc). I can see how you could get hooked on building.

What have been your "must have" shop tools (not aircraft specific tools that you would get in the Cleaveland RV Tool Kit, but stuff like bench grinder, drill press, band saw, etc)?
Glad to answer! First and foremost, building seems like a daunting task when you look at the whole. Really it's learning a bit here, a bit there and before you know it you are cruising along. As far as tools go I don't see how people enjoy building without access to a drill press, band saw, and 1" belt sander. I use them tools a lot when fabricating parts, they are not necessary but dang it would suck without them in my mind. I also have access to a metal shear and brake which is mega nice but not required. A bench grinder is a must as well. If I could have a bigger compressor I sure would like it too, I have a 21 gallon and really wish I had a 60. Other than that most tools come from the aircraft suppliers, I'm a big fan of having a pneumatic squeezer. Any other q's don't hesitate to ask!
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 12-14-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Glad to answer! First and foremost, building seems like a daunting task when you look at the whole. Really it's learning a bit here, a bit there and before you know it you are cruising along. As far as tools go I don't see how people enjoy building without access to a drill press, band saw, and 1" belt sander. I use them tools a lot when fabricating parts, they are not necessary but dang it would suck without them in my mind. I also have access to a metal shear and brake which is mega nice but not required. A bench grinder is a must as well. If I could have a bigger compressor I sure would like it too, I have a 21 gallon and really wish I had a 60. Other than that most tools come from the aircraft suppliers, I'm a big fan of having a pneumatic squeezer. Any other q's don't hesitate to ask!
Thanks for the feedback! Out of curiosity, what drill press and band saw do you own?
Old 12-14-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
Thanks for the feedback! Out of curiosity, what drill press and band saw do you own?
I have old delta stuff. I have also owned some WEN tools as of recent and would really like to buy some more of it. Not industrial grade but great reviews on amazon, I have a planer and bench grinder from them.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
I have old delta stuff. I have also owned some WEN tools as of recent and would really like to buy some more of it. Not industrial grade but great reviews on amazon, I have a planer and bench grinder from them.
Thank you sir! Yea you can spend a fortune on just a drill press and band saw. I imagine for building an RV any of the Wen/Ryobi/maybe even HF stuff would suffice.
Old Today, 10:41 AM

What's in the box?!?!?!

20181129_171049 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Yep, you guessed it. My Hartzell constant speed 74" prop arrived!

20181129_172323 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Oh this you ask? No big deal, it's just an engine! Haha My IO-360-M1B arrived as well. The sealing bag was compromised so I said, mind as well open it up and take a look. I resealed it with some new desiccant. My wife is pretty awesome too, she let it go in the corner of our dining room since the humidity inside the house is only 25%.

20181207_140045 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20181207_140527 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Finally, I'm trying to make this winter a productive one with some inside work. I saved the flaps and ailerons so I could work on our dining room table like I did with the empennage. I started with the ailerons yesterday. I have had a hiatus recently due to remodeling our baby room, now that that task is done back to building!

20181215_105901 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20181215_110424 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived