What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shipping a Catto 3 blade prop

Steve Brown

Well Known Member
Hi guys,
Recently sold my RV, which included a spare 3 blade composite prop I need to ship to the new owner.
My current plan is to build a lightweight plywood box for shipping via FEDEX ground. However, I'm concerned about the prop being damaged during shipment because I need to use minimal padding to keep the dimensions (dimensional weight) down.
Anyone shipped one of these props?
If so, what worked?

Best to check with Catto.
The last time I talked to them about shipping my prop from Florida to California for rework, it was about $300.
They suggested shipping in cardboard box with the prop wrapped in bubble pack.
Each blade is packaged & wrapped to the center hub.

They can give you the best price carrier.

I bought a 3 blade Catto from Zuldarin here on VAF. He did an amazing job of packing the prop. Here is a pic. He used concrete tubes with foam inside them to hold the blades. He filled in the ends with spray foam and duct tape. Maybe this will give you some ideas. Good luck!
2yvujhi.jpg
[/IMG]

Best to check with Catto.
The last time I talked to them about shipping my prop from Florida to California for rework, it was about $300.
They suggested shipping in cardboard box with the prop wrapped in bubble pack.
Each blade is packaged & wrapped to the center hub.

They can give you the best price carrier.
Same with my 3B Catto prop. I got the same $300 (each way from Florida) estimate so I figured it didn't need re-pitching that bad.

:cool:

I can?t contact Catto

I just packed mine up to ship back to them to get it refurbished. I packaged it up with each blade individually boxed as shown in one of the other post. Due to the dimensions and way both fedex and UPS measures the package, I?m not able to send it regulator parcel...they both require freight. I almost chocked when they both gave me a quote of more then $1400. There?s no way I?m going to pay that much to ship a 20lb. package. I then got a quote of $400 from one of these on-line shippers. I?ve been trying to call Nicole for the past few days, but I?m just getting there voicemail. I even tried emailing her, but I still haven?t gotten a reply. I?m hoping she can get me a better rate than that. Does anyone know why they?re not answering their phone? Are they closed for the holiday season?

Mark

FEDEX or UPS ground is your best bet, using the cardboard box method above. Drop it at the shipping facility for the best rate.

Mine shipped round trip for $570 from SE Georgia recently.

Last edited:
FEDEX or UPS ground is your best bet, using the cardboard box method above. Drop it at the shipping facility for the best rate.

Mine shipped round trip for $570 from south Georgia recently.

Ray,
I tried that, but even though I have it packaged up using the individual cardboard box method, they would only measure it as if it were in a square box which then put in over the limit of what they?d ship parcel and will only except it as a freight package. How were you able to get around this?

Thanks,
Mark

Ray,
I tried that, but even though I have it packaged up using the individual cardboard box method, they would only measure it as if it were in a square box which then put in over the limit of what they?d ship parcel and will only except it as a freight package. How were you able to get around this?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

Catto facilitated shipping for me and sent me an invoice once the prop was repaired (under warranty) and returned. Call Nicole, she can help.

Mark,

Catto facilitated shipping for me and sent me an invoice once the prop was repaired (under warranty) and returned. Call Nicole, she can help.

Roger that. I?ve been trying to contact her, but for some reason they?re not answering their phone. I guess I?ll keep trying.

Thanks,
Mark

pics and signature

I would also suggest that you take a bunch of pictures of inside packaging and also get the receiving person where you drop off the prop to sign a statement stating that it is packaged correctly. If that person does not sign, then you are left trying to prove you packaged it right if it is damaged and usually the freight company will win that argument.

I have recently shipped several 74" 2 blade props via USPS for about $80 each. They were in plywood boxes and weighed about #40 each. Fast delivery with tracking and both arrived in fine condition.

Well, I finally got a resolution to my shipping dilemma. Yellow freight is going to ship it for me for $129. That sure beats UPS and FedEx quote for over $1,400.

Mark

Well, I finally got a resolution to my shipping dilemma. Yellow freight is going to ship it for me for $129. That sure beats UPS and FedEx quote for over $1,400.

Mark
NICE!! I may have to contact Yellow Freight and get mine shipped that way.

:cool:

Back