What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tell me some tyres

Vlad

Well Known Member
I ordered 11x4.00-5 tire and tube from a supply house the other day. It was shipped slightly deformed and still stays that way I didn't put it on the rim yet. It says tubeless and weighs noticeably less then my previous tire from Vans. The wall is thinner as well.

Would it work OK with a tube? I tend to over inflate my wheels a bit and like it that way. What tires do you run and what pressure you maintain? Old but always topical issue. Jokes about little wheel in right place are ok :)

You can use a tube in the tubeless tire. If going tubeless, the wheel must also be capable of going tubeless (mine are not).

Yes Vlad, all your tires are in the right place........Welllllllll, 2/3 of them anyway.

I ordered 11x4.00-5 tire and tube from a supply house the other day. It was shipped slightly deformed and still stays that way I didn't put it on the rim yet. It says tubeless and weighs noticeably less then my previous tire from Vans. The wall is thinner as well.

Hmmmm this is very interesting. Alfio (Lycosaurus) just went through a similar experience. He ordered a tire from ACS and was shipped a tubeless tire. Turned out it was nearly a pound heavier than the "tubed" tire. The tubeless tire was returned to ACS for refund and a replacement was ordered from Desser. The tubed tire from Desser was close to the same weight as the tire supplied by Vans.

Having held them in my hands, the tubeless tire was substantially thicker in the sidewalls than the tubeless tire, hence the extra weight.

Page 16 here talks about tubes in tubeless tires - basically it's OK -

https://www.goodyearaviation.com/resources/pdf/aviation_tire_care_3_2017.pdf

Michelin says the same thing, but with a "no" for radial tyres...

NOTE: Bias Tires: All MICHELIN® bias (cross ply) tires, including tubeless tires, are suitable for
operation with tubes approved for the particular tire size and application on tube
type wheels.
CAUTION: ALL MICHELIN® RADIAL AIRCRAFT TIRES ARE OF TUBELESS DESIGN. DO NOT USE A TUBE IN AN
AIRCRAFT RADIAL TIRE. DO NOT MOUNT A MICHELIN® RADIAL TIRE ON A TUBE TYPE WHEEL.
IMPROPER ASSEMBLY MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE TIRE.

PDF page 50 -

https://aircraft.michelin.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/2016_CSM_Print.pdf

I don't think radials come into play at our sizes...

Last edited:
Tired of tires....

Would it work OK with a tube? I tend to over inflate my wheels a bit and like it that way. What tires do you run and what pressure you maintain? Old but always topical issue. Jokes about little wheel in right place are ok :)

Vlad you Madman!
Short answer Da, (да)but since you (like me) fly alot and visit remote locales, the very thin wall Michelin Air-stop tubes will fit and add redundancy for flat fixes in the boonies. (Kamchatka Peninsula!) Especially given you have an extra (air filled) tire in a strange location to worry about! :)

Personally, I like bigger/wider 380 series and have been using 380X150X5 Aero Classics from Desser for 15 years. Since I live on a (sometimes) soft turf runway and frequent the same, they are noticeably superior to standard 500X5's.
30PSI works well for me on pavement or turf/sand/gravel what have you.

До свидания!
Smokey

Last edited:
The 11-400-5 is availalbe in 2 different models from Desser:

The tube 4 ply: 11/400-5 4 PLY EXPERIMENTAL TIRE AIRCRAFT TIRE $19.95

Tubeless: 11/400-5 8 PLY AERO CLASSIC (2 RIB NEW VERSION) AIRCRAFT TIRE $59

Personally I only use the new style 8 ply Aero classic.
You can use a tube in the tubeless model.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Cheng Shins. For a while there, the company refused to sell them for aircraft use so I bought a couple of Desser Aero-Classics. I had a lot of trouble mounting those because I couldn't get them to slide partway onto the rim halves. I pinched two tubes in the attempt. Someone alerted me to the fact that ACS was carrying them again, so I bought four of the Cheng Shin 8-plies for $30 each. Here's my procedure for installing them. From a previous post:

I finally got the Cheng Shin tire mounted, but I'm embarrassed to admit that I ruined one more tube on the first attempt. The problem was that I had too much air in the tube when I went to mate the two rim halves. I bought three clamps that Matco recommends ($16 each!) but couldn't get that method to work. When clamping down on the tire, the tube just pushed itself out into the space where the rim was going to go. I also tried the cardboard trick but after inserting it into the first rim half, the cardboard canted outward so the second rim half wouldn't fit. So I fell back to my tried-and-true method that has worked for me for several years:

1. Dust the inside of the tire with baby powder and remove the excess (Don''t breath it).
2. Inflate the tube just a little bit with N2 so it will fit inside the tire.
3. Slide the tire/tube onto the rim half with the hole for the valve stem.
4. Pump up the tube some more so it will expand back into the tire.
5. Push the valve stem into the hole in the rim.
6. Lube up the inner diameter of the tube with Parker O-Lube.
7. Insert the second rim half into the tire
8. Insert three long AN4 bolts in the bolt holes to get the rim halves aligned.
9. Cruical: Let some N2 out of the tube so it recedes back into the tire
10. Remove the long bolts and install the provided bolts/washers.
11. Push the rim halves together until you hear a metal-on-metal "clunk".
12. Gently clamp the rim halves partially so you can start the nuts.
13. Verify you still have a metal-on-metal clunk when pushing the rim halves together.
14. Tighten the nuts equally then torque to 99 in.lb.
15. Pressurize with N2 to 50 PSIG and pray.

One other thing I did was to file a ~.020" radius on the mating surface of the rim half opposite the valve stem so it would slide easily over the tube.

The 11-400-5 is availalbe in 2 different models:

The tube 4 ply: 11/400-5 4 PLY EXPERIMENTAL TIRE AIRCRAFT TIRE $19.95

Tubeless: 11/400-5 8 PLY AERO CLASSIC (2 RIB NEW VERSION) AIRCRAFT TIRE $59

Personally I only use the new style 8 ply Aero classic.
You can use a tube in the tubeless model.

I'm glad to hear that experience.
I just mounted the Aero Classic on the nose Saturday.
I had not paid attention to the differences between the tires until I had both in my hands.
Quite a difference.

Back