What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question: First Alert Tundra Fire Extinguisher

mbauer

Well Known Member
Has anybody used the First Alert Tundra Fire Extinguisher in a small confined space?

Says it is non-toxic, was able to take a look at the different SDS, worst chemicals are an eye irritant, it might work for an airplane emergency extinguisher.

I bought one on Saturday for $15, says it lasts longer than a normal size extinguisher and being non-toxic is a big plus, with a three year shelf life.

Checked out some videos of it working, looks like it works good for only 14-oz size (aerosol can).

Wondering if anybody has used it for an actual emergency at home, Motorhome RV, boat (recommended for these uses) or airplane?

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Contents are Nitrogen (pressurant) and biodegradable fire extinguishing liquid described as water, potassium and lactic acid. I would use it in my kitchen or my backyard but not sure about an airplane (including the shop) until a knowledgeable authority tells me it’s not corrosive. I can’t justify spending thousands of dollars on an airplane and then risk it on a low cost fire extinguishing aerosol. (Technically the Tundra is not a fire extinguisher b/c it has no pin to pull.)

Hate to rain on your idea but Halon extinguishers are still available.

Last edited:
I do understand wanting to avoid corrosive stuff. But if I'm in the air & on fire, I'd just want to live to buy another plane, or start a different hobby. :)

We're trained to sacrifice the plane in a crash to minimize damage to ourselves & others. Doing the 'math' for myself, if I could provide fire protection for a few dollars that was both effective and wouldn't make the odds worse for me to get the plane on the ground, I'd probably accept the compromise if it meant an 'insurance policy' that was hundred$ cheaper. How expensive are halon extinguishers these days?

I would want to know what 'eye irritant' means. If discharging it in a confined space like a cockpit will blind you (or coat all the views of the outside with dust), it wouldn't be a good bet. For $15, it might be worth throwing together a cockpit size box of plastic drop cloth & doing a test.

Charlie

I do understand wanting to avoid corrosive stuff. But if I'm in the air & on fire, I'd just want to live to buy another plane, or start a different hobby. :)

We're trained to sacrifice the plane in a crash to minimize damage to ourselves & others. Doing the 'math' for myself, if I could provide fire protection for a few dollars that was both effective and wouldn't make the odds worse for me to get the plane on the ground, I'd probably accept the compromise if it meant an 'insurance policy' that was hundred$ cheaper. How expensive are halon extinguishers these days?

I would want to know what 'eye irritant' means. If discharging it in a confined space like a cockpit will blind you (or coat all the views of the outside with dust), it wouldn't be a good bet. For $15, it might be worth throwing together a cockpit size box of plastic drop cloth & doing a test.

Charlie

These are the reasons why I'm thinking about this for my RV.

Small enough to fit almost anywhere (between the seat back cushions).

If you read the SDS sheets, Moderate Health issue = 2. I know Halon is still available, already have a small one-going to look at the SDS for it next.

The clean up is: Use damp cloth to wipe away.

There are plenty of videos of people using this to put fires out. One was done 10-years ago by a Dallas Fire Department, question was asked if "Deal/Or Dud". Firefighter said "Deal". Wonder if that still holds true?

Hopefully will never need to use it or my Halon extinguisher-but going to carry it just in case.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Maybe both a Tundra and a Halon would be a good idea. If the first one doesn't kill the fire, then surely the second one will. ;)

I'm now very interested in fire extinguishers. I'll be buying at least one soon for my hangar because the airport board has decreed "...all hangars shall have a fire extinguisher that will be inspected by a certified party annually." When a group of us appeared at their March meeting and asked questions about the different type and sizes of fire extinguishers, they decided they needed "more time to study it." Oh well, I have digressed on a tangent.

Mike, I'm glad you brought up this topic. I didn't say I wouldn't use a Tundra or similar device, but I'd like to know more about it. You asked for any real world experiences and so far you have only gotten opinions from Charlie and me.

Hopefully, someone will answer your original question.

Last edited:
Maybe both a Tundra and a Halon would be a good idea. If the first one doesn't kill the fire, then maybe the second one will. ;)

This is what I have. Halon to put out a fire, Tundra type to cool me off (like if my shoes are melting!).

Back