What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X/G5 flight director symbology

BigGinger

I'm New Here
I have a question for those of you already flying around with fancy panels. (Or for g3xpert, if this bat signal reaches them.)

I see options for both single (V bar) and dual cue (needles) flight director symbols in both the G5 and G3X manuals. The G5 manual states that you can only use the dual cue if you do NOT have an autopilot installed, but I see no such statement for the G3X. Can you select dual cue on a G3X display with an autopilot? Also, if you have a G3X, autopilot, and G5 all connected, does that symbology setting get pushed down to the G5?

I'm honestly less concerned about the flight director function itself than about the associated attitude symbology. I much prefer a traditional water line to V bars (plus a velocity vector to really make me happy).

Yes you can select either display modes for the G3X FD even if you have the AP.

Pretty sure the FD does not show up on the G5 when the G5 is part of the G3X system unless the G3X screens fail. (I normally am only looking at the PFD so I am not 100% sure)

Last edited:
Can you select dual cue on a G3X display with an autopilot? Also, if you have a G3X, autopilot, and G5 all connected, does that symbology setting get pushed down to the G5?

For the AP with FD, yes. That's what I have(dual cue).

I don't recall seeing the G5 with any nav symbology to date though honestly I don't pay much attention to it except to set the altimeter for the entire system.

I have a question for those of you already flying around with fancy panels. (Or for g3xpert, if this bat signal reaches them.)

I see options for both single (V bar) and dual cue (needles) flight director symbols in both the G5 and G3X manuals. The G5 manual states that you can only use the dual cue if you do NOT have an autopilot installed, but I see no such statement for the G3X. Can you select dual cue on a G3X display with an autopilot? Also, if you have a G3X, autopilot, and G5 all connected, does that symbology setting get pushed down to the G5?

I'm honestly less concerned about the flight director function itself than about the associated attitude symbology. I much prefer a traditional water line to V bars (plus a velocity vector to really make me happy).

Hello Mike,

Both the G5 and G3X Systems support both single and dual cue flight directors.

The G5 manual (Attitude Configuration Page section) is trying to communicate that the aircraft symbol indicator type setting on this configuration page is only available when an autopilot is not installed (and thus no flight director is being used).

When an autopilot is installed, the flight director style (single cue or dual cue) is configured on the Flight Director Configuration page and this selection automatically selects the aircraft symbol that matches the desired flight director type.

Thanks,
Steve

Back