What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter Question

TJCF16

Well Known Member
When I start my engine and it fires off and i let off the start key. The starter seems to stay engaged for about 2 seconds or so then disengages. I replaced the starter with a new one and it does the same thing. I am wondering if this is normal. It has been doing this since May when I bought the plane. I have it down for annual and thought I would investigate. This may be normal as the engine rpm increases to the point the starter disengages. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this. I have an 0-320. I have flown over 600hrs in 172 and 182 and never heard this before maybe they do the same thing iI just couldn't hear them

Are you the builder? If so did you remove the jumper on the starter solenoid?

I will look up the RVAator article on this and amend this post. The essence is that the jumper should be removed and allow the starter contractor to energize both the power lead and the starter solenoid. The reason is that the starter was found to remain energized after the starter contractor was shut off.

It is a bit of controversy around this, but based in fact from Vans (as a problem resolution) and they have stuck with the wiring recommendation for many years once they isolated the cause.

Edit - Scott beat me to it.

I am not the builder. And it is wired with the jumper wire. There is no second wire. I guess I will install one? I wonder why you couldn't use a diode on the jumper wire? That would stop any back feeding.

Back