What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painters?

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Any recommendations or experience with aircraft exterior painters in the Oregon area? I'm Portland based, but willing to fly in the region for a great paint job. Not so keen on flying to the midwest for a paintjob.

Local pro in Hillsboro

Trevor Lacy - http://classicaircraftrestoration.com/

Does excellent work. He painted my rv6a last year. Really great to work with. Maybe you've seen my Red RV around? He also painted the rv12 that was built in the eaa 105 hangars last year. His shop is close to my house so I like to drop by and see what he's up to and usually I learn something. Send me a PM if you want an introduction.

3545b_hangar.jpg

More Oregon painting options

Mark,

Craig Roberts is based at Aurora airport: [email protected], 503-318-3351; He has painted many local planes. The AFS RV-10 is one http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=45862

John Stahr, Artistic Aviation http://www.stahrdesign.com/ worked with Craig Roberts to paint two planes that hangar together at HIO. Dan Benua's RV-10 and Gary Daubert's RV-8. They both won awards at OSH last year and Dan has won an award at Arlington.

Check with the Stark's at Twin Oaks also.

There is a painter who generally does British sports cars just north of the Hillsboro Airport that did a beautiful job on the RV-10 that hangars next to DanB. Probably heavier than typical paint. Let me know if you want his contact info and I can get it.

Regards,

Still around?

Does anyone know if Craig Roberts or Classic Aircraft Reatoration are still in business or painting aircraft? I have tried contacting both via phone and email and gotten no response?

Anyone else in the Portland/Vancouver area recommended for paint?

Stahr Designs

John Stahr is in Eugene. He has painted a LOT of RVs and is the go to guy for Synergy Air when they have an RV-12 to be painted.
He is excellent in his work and will help with the art work as well as getting everything you need to get the painting process underway.

I had John paint my RV-9A and have had a lot of requests for the plane to be put on display at several events... Sadly, those requests don't come with payment for fuel to get to them...

John is highly recommended and you can often see his work at Twin Oaks pancake breakfasts.

John Stahr

Thanks, does John do paint schemes that are more "mundane?" His work that I have seen is beautiful but often involves elaborate schemes and airbrush work. I'd love to say John painted my plane but I wasn't considering him as I thought my 3 color scheme would not be something he'd be interested in...?

He can work with you

It is true John is a master with the airbrush and very detailed paint schemes.
But I have seen planes he has painted that are "mundane". His view is that the paint job be one the owner wants and is happy with.
Some may say he is too expensive. I contend that his expertise and willingness to work with you to get it just right is well worth the price and it is a fair price.

I looked into wraps but could not get any vendor to respond to my multiple attempts at contact. Members here have stated their wraps added 12 to 14 pounds. My detailed paint scheme - performed by John - added 19 pounds.
How the primer and paint are applied has a significant impact on total weight. Who does the application determines the how it is applied. John has many years experience to give you the best results.

John is kept busy so you will need to get on his schedule early.

Email sent!

Great feedback on John, I have sent him and email, will see if we can connect.

(I also received a PM indicating that Craig Roberts is still doing paint work at Aurora...)

Wings On?

Good to hear you are attempting to contact John.

I had my 9A flying for a couple of years - unpainted. When I came to a point where I was ready for paint, several painters refused to paint it unless the wings were off. They would not work "upside down" under the plane.

John had no problem with doing that. With a good creeper and (no problem with a 9A) a bit of height, he could do a good job on the bottom of the wing - still attached.

HOWEVER, if you are at a point where you want to add paint, and have not mounted the wings "permanently" it will be a very easy task to trailer / truck your bird down to John's shop and let him have complete access to it so he can get it done with minimal interruptions.
I took as much off the plane as possible, took them down to John, the rest of the bird (fuselage and wings) were left in my hangar at S12 (Albany, OR). That required John to make a few trips up I5 to get that work done. Needless to say, he would have preferred doing all the work in his shop, but did the job as my situation required.

John's shop is NOT at the Eugene (KEUG) airport as there are too many DEQ restrictions to get a paint shop established there. You'll have to work with him based on your specific needs / situation.

Craig is now retired from painting. I believe we were the last RV10 he did and now has leased out his hangar and is now doing detailing services for jets.

Back