- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightrudder View Post
Yeah, that's why I'm waiting till after OSH to make my final decision.
I suspect there are a LOT of us waiting til after OSH to make a decision. Booths with ADSB solutions are going to be crowded!
Finish Kit in work
2018 dues gladly paid
Old 04-30-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
That's true with everything electronic in the aircraft... I still think the biggest reason I haven't upgraded my panel yet is that every time I start to get motivated to make some changes, the "next big thing" is just around the corner and I hold off instead... Each iteration of the technology just keeps getting better and (relatively) cheaper.
Thatís why Iím stil on steam gauges myself.

While I'm not a builder if I happen to give advice , I will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, parts, world wide power outages, spontaneously generated black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this advice.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:26 PM

Assuming that this ADSB tail light is based on wifi for transponder input, I wonder why so many are having to change from wifi to hard wiring the ECHO to the transponder and encoder for proper results??
Old 04-30-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larco View Post
Assuming that this ADSB tail light is based on wifi for transponder input, I wonder why so many are having to change from wifi to hard wiring the ECHO to the transponder and encoder for proper results??
I think ďwifiĒ is the wrong word. The ECHO can listen to the transponder broadcast after it has been Ďpingedí by ATC radar. One problem happens at low altitude, or remote locations - if thereís no ATC radar to interogate it, thereís no transponder transmission. Then the Echo doesnít know the pressure altitude. Another potential issue is getting the sensitivity set right. If the antennas are close, the signal can be large.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:01 AM

Thanks for the explanation Bob
Old 05-01-2018, 02:33 PM

What Bob mentioned about not getting Baro unless the transponder is ping'd....

I have that same problem with the Echo, and it actually causes a Maintenance flag to pop up which after a certain amount of time can cause an alarm flag on my EFIS to pop up. So if you aren't providing regular baro info to the UAT, it isn't going to be ideal at all. I'm actually shocked that any of the systems can use the transponder sniffer mode. You'd think the FAA would want to mandate that the systems directly get proper baro alt, since they are so picky about the quality of the GPS that they are integrated with.
RV-10/14 Transition Training: http://www.RVCFI.com
Old 05-01-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimO View Post
I'm actually shocked that any of the systems can use the transponder sniffer mode.
I suppose they could make the device wait a particular amount of time after receiving the last valid transponder "sniff", and then issue a very low-power ping that would be picked up by the transponder and trigger it's own return, delivering the needed baro check - but that's crossing into "spoofing" territory for the ground ATC radar system and would probably be frowned upon too.

Best just to hardwire it...
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimO View Post
I'm actually shocked that any of the systems can use the transponder sniffer mode. You'd think the FAA would want to mandate that the systems directly get proper baro alt, since they are so picky about the quality of the GPS that they are integrated with.
Me too. In fact when the NavWorx box with transmon pick up came out, I sent them an email asking just that question. The reply I got (not from Bill) was that the FAA had okayed substituting gps altitude if pressure altitude wasnít available, as long as some flag was set to indicate what was going on (??). That sounded odd to me, but since I had no intention of buying a product that didnít actually exist at that time, I dropped the subject.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:01 PM

So I am a beta tester for the tailbeacon. It works great. I have had no issues with it not working, once I was installed. The hardware install could not have been easier. I cut two wires. Crimped on the two new wires. It mounted in the existing hole. I did have a few hiccups with the software connection with my iPhone, but an android fired right up (thatís part of the beta testing).

I use the tailbeacon for my adsb out.

I use a stratux for my adsb in. My stratux is connected via hardware to my GRT efis. My GRT efis allows me to put in my N number to squash spurious warnings.

I am very happy with this set up. The only thing I hope is that the non-beta versions have an option for the tailbeacon to also strobe/flash. There is an option in the app, but not on the hardware.

Installation was easy. Adsb in is cheap and easy. Best/easiest adsb you are gonna get.

X
ATP/CFI/II/MEI
N617TN
Old 08-16-2018, 05:45 AM

I placed an order on Sunday for the Tail Beacon. I have received an email that my order has been processed and my card has been billed. Hope to have it sometime next week. Will let you know how is goes with install and test flight. I will probably have to contact the manufacturer for this, but I was contemplating running a separate hot wire that comes alive with the master switch since I fly 99% in the daytime and usually don't turn on my nav lights. Strobes are always on. Going to run it by my avionics guy too, but does anyone think this could cause a problem?