- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 08:58 PM

Default Reference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Thatís not the way it works. Your ADSB-out signal tells the ground station what frequencies youíre listening on. The ground station will not send up traffic that it thinks you should be receiving directly.
Do you have a reference for that statement?

Thanks
2018 VAF supporter
Old 04-06-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepileit View Post
UAVIONICS wingtip and tail WAAS GPS receivers and Nav position lights are 978 UAT transmitters, right?

They only transmit via UAT on 978 MHz to ground stations, not other aircraft, right?

If you want to see or be seen air to air via transponder you either need the other guy to have a 1090ES transponder and you to have a 1090 ADSB-IN solution to see him and you to have the same to see you, air to air.

Otherwise you need full up TCAS or you are depending on FAA retransmissions from the ground.

I'll likely put this newest Uavionix offering on our 6.

Pun intended...
The 978 transmission is intended to be received by ground stations AND other aircraft who are listening on 978. The ground stations are supposed to send your position up to participating aircraft who are listening only on 1090.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB-avl View Post
Do you have a reference for that statement?

Thanks
Here’s one:
Data you requested is near the bottom.
https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipads...ties/ins_outs/

Last edited by BobTurner : 04-06-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
The 978 transmission is intended to be received by ground stations AND other aircraft who are listening on 978. The ground stations are supposed to send your position up to participating aircraft who are listening only on 1090.

Thank you. I surfed around after seeing your reply and now agree and feel even better about using this 978 Out solution. Would like to see a few good PAPRs and no bad ones!
Old 04-07-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
Line-of-sight radio transmission being blocked by "stuff" in the way is only applicable at fairly appreciable distances. Anything close enough to you to worry about, but directly above or below, is going to be sending a powerful enough signal to be seen on the other side of your aircraft regardless.
That is good to know, but still I think it supports my concern... I want other aircraft to know i'm coming as far in advance as possible. If I have a weaker signal cone pointing along my direction of travel, that reduces the range at which I should be detectable. If i'm flying towards an ADS-B tower, or straight at another airplane that I haven't seen yet, we'll be closer before we get alerts.

Still, it depends on the definition of "fairly appreciable distances". If they're above or below, I don't care because i'm not going to hit them. If they're off to one side, my signal should be good and there should be reduced probability of intersecting flight tracks. It's the head-on (or near head-on) traffic that we encounter more as we devolve to following the magenta lines that worries me.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
That is good to know, but still I think it supports my concern... I want other aircraft to know i'm coming as far in advance as possible. If I have a weaker signal cone pointing along my direction of travel, that reduces the range at which I should be detectable. If i'm flying towards an ADS-B tower, or straight at another airplane that I haven't seen yet, we'll be closer before we get alerts.
Certainly true. I wouldn't think it would be attenuated enough to be a concern within the range of collision-avoidance distances, but only testing would tell us for sure. Each airframe will have more or less sensitivity to that.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:22 PM

Default misundertood?

I am not sure if I am reading the comments about being seen in front correctly or not???? In my observation over some years now.... LED position lights don't really do much in the daylight. I have pretty bright lights, but only the landing lights are focused enough to do much in daytime. Blinking helps as well as wig wag. As far as ADS-B is concerned, there is no difference where it is mounted. It is a data link. Your ship position is reported via data bursts. Most of my flights, I notice I am hitting four or five towers at varying distances. My position is being reported and all the traffic around me is able to determine on their own datalink receiver, where I am. We have an inordinate number of planes in my area that are equipped since it is home to ERAU. They have been using ADS-B for years. They report back to center and tower where they see traffic on their screens. My position is always accurate as reported by the instructors on board. So, for the poster worried about an antenna at the rear... I would not worry too much about it.

Work bio: Avionics tech support; ATP rated in planes.Helicopter rated, balloon instructor, seaplanes and for grins, Phantom Drone pilot. Instructor for air medical and law enforcement tactical radio systems. Fly my RV9A to work every week. Janitor when and as needed.

Last edited by flightlogic : 05-01-2018 at 07:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-07-2018, 09:24 PM

Anyone know if this light is the same size as the standard tail light on the RV6? Looks bigger for some reason.

These guys and others are updating products so fast it makes me happy I DIDNT buy a ADSB solution yet each time something new comes out.

While I'm not a builder if I happen to give advice , I will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, parts, world wide power outages, spontaneously generated black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this advice.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo69bird View Post
These guys and others are updating products so fast it makes me happy I DIDNT buy a ADSB solution yet each time something new comes out.
That's true with everything electronic in the aircraft... I still think the biggest reason I haven't upgraded my panel yet is that every time I start to get motivated to make some changes, the "next big thing" is just around the corner and I hold off instead... Each iteration of the technology just keeps getting better and (relatively) cheaper.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo69bird View Post

Yeah, that's why I'm waiting till after OSH to make my final decision.
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2018
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Closed Thread