Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > California
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2018, 08:36 PM

Here's an update .. the Bravo changed today. The sectional now actually does show the critical VFR corridors around SFO Bravo, a key element of the Bay Tour.

Here are some presentations focused around KSFO and KSQL. KPAO is just to the south.

https://publicworks.smcgov.org/sites...esentation.pdf

https://publicworks.smcgov.org/sites...esentation.pdf

Quite nice pubs!
N430WB (reserved) RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Engine hung!
Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2018 donation happily made
Old 08-17-2018, 10:27 AM

Thanks, folks, for sharing all this great info. Now it's time for me to "head down" into the new sectional chart and see if I can figure out how to actually get to Palo Alto, then do the Bay tour, then... :-)
Old 08-17-2018, 11:14 AM

Default From the East

From the East, you can actually duck under Bravo, North of the SJC Charlie, South of the OAK Charlie, if you head thru the Sunol Grade (SUNOL is a good starting point) then head to the DECOT intersection, then directly to PAO. With the way the airspace works you can actually do that and only have to call PAO as you're entering Delta.

But in general once you're near the Bay area get flight following from NorCal and they'll do the handoffs for you.

Bay Tours are also very easy. Call the PAO tower, tell them you want a beacon code for a Bay Tour, they'll give you a transponder code and a NorCal frequency. Ask around at PAO (or SQL) and people can walk you thru it.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:25 AM

I went in to Oakland a few months ago in my RV-8A, stayed for 5 hours, and was charged $49 for (according to FBO) a MANDITORY landing fee, (all aircraft.) Was also charged two other fees by FBO (no fuel purchased.) All total, almost $200 for 5 hours on the ground. Won't be going back. Went onto Hayward next time, no such fees.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrichey View Post
I went in to Oakland a few months ago in my RV-8A, stayed for 5 hours, and was charged $49 for (according to FBO) a MANDITORY landing fee, (all aircraft.) Was also charged two other fees by FBO (no fuel purchased.) All total, almost $200 for 5 hours on the ground. Won't be going back. Went onto Hayward next time, no such fees.
I honestly havenít been over to KOAK in a few years, but I find this hard to believe. KOAK always had a fair amount of GA traffic that would dissappear at $50 a landing. Did you, by mistake, go into the south field?
For those unfamiliar: OAK is essentially two airports that happen to be close to each other. The South field is where the commercial traffic goes; North field is for GA. They have their own separate control towers and frequencies. I can believe the $49 fee for the south field - they really want you to use the North field. Can anyone based at OAK confirm if there really is a landing fee for the North field?
Old 08-17-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrichey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
I honestly havenít been over to KOAK in a few years, but I find this hard to believe. KOAK always had a fair amount of GA traffic that would dissappear at $50 a landing. Did you, by mistake, go into the south field?
For those unfamiliar: OAK is essentially two airports that happen to be close to each other. The South field is where the commercial traffic goes; North field is for GA. They have their own separate control towers and frequencies. I can believe the $49 fee for the south field - they really want you to use the North field. Can anyone based at OAK confirm if there really is a landing fee for the North field?
My last landing at OAK was about a year ago, but at that time it was a $15 mandatory security fee, and an additional $40/day ramp fee with 1 day waived with fuel purchase. This was at Atlantic. If you went to Signature that was your mistake.....
Old 08-18-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
The Port of Oakland who controls the airport has been trying to levy landing fees from planes for a while now. The port has tolerated GA's existence at the airport but they'd much rather have a bunch of G5s than us. One of those pays more in tax per year than all GA combined.

Anyways, the only 'landing' fee is the FBO trying to collect. If you land on the North side, know someone there and can go park near them at their hangar, etc its no problem. The security at the airport, as you'd mentioned since GA technically is connected to commercial, is quite high so the only real transient parking is at the FBOs that'll try to impose landing fees. You can't just walk around the ramp without a security badge (which is a pain to get the first time). Thus the FBO tries to say there is a landing fee but there isn't. Also almost no one here fuels up here. We all goto Byron, or Tracy or someplace else much cheaper.

Kilroy
RV-14 #140394
Empennage - done
Wings - Under construction
YouTube Build Channel