What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 5 - use of tape instead of proseal

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi,

I am a little confused after reading section 5 and tape instead of proseal. Lots of build logs talk about scuffing and masking the area where the trailing edge will go, to aid the proseal in sticking, but Section 5 is silent on this as far as I can see.

Is this still required if using the tape instead of the proseal?

Can I prime both the skins and the trailing edge piece, if using the tape, as I was thinking otherwise there may be a source of water wicking and future corrosion (as I don’t know if the tape has the same properties as the proseal).

My gut feeling is I should prime both and use the tape onto the primer (perhaps with light scuffing).

What has everyone else that used the tape been doing?

Thanks all in advance. Sorry if it’s been covered somewhere before or in section 5 - I may well have missed it.

Hi,

I am a little confused after reading section 5 and tape instead of proseal. Lots of build logs talk about scuffing and masking the area where the trailing edge will go, to aid the proseal in sticking, but Section 5 is silent on this as far as I can see.

Is this still required if using the tape instead of the proseal?

Can I prime both the skins and the trailing edge piece, if using the tape, as I was thinking otherwise there may be a source of water wicking and future corrosion (as I don?t know if the tape has the same properties as the proseal).

My gut feeling is I should prime both and use the tape onto the primer (perhaps with light scuffing).

What has everyone else that used the tape been doing?

Thanks all in advance. Sorry if it?s been covered somewhere before or in section 5 - I may well have missed it.

As I understand it the only reason for using an adhesive here is to hold the skins together until you get rivets in there, since you can't use clecos while back riveting. I used proseal so regarded that as corrosion protection. If using tape I think I would apply the tape over the primer.

I used tape with great success. In the past I had used proseal and worked great but messy work. The tape, if you have not seen it, is extremely thin and occupies less space than proseal and I personally don't see any concern for moisture retention/corrosion. But I had primed all my surfaces.

Back