What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rod End Bearing For Rear Throttle Lever

Anna

Hi Folks,

May I ask you which rod end bearings you are using for the Rear Throttle Lever for Vans RV8 from Aircraft Spruce?

See the link below for the throttle lever 05-04531:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/rv8quadrant.php?clickkey=8822

I found that the eyeball bearing - which would be used for the Vans rear throttle - is to wide and does not fit between the lever and the lever bracket from Spruce...
Pictures would be highly appreciated... ;)

Thank you very much for your support!

Best wishes,
Anna

I used HM-3M bearings from Spruce, both on the front and rear levers: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/heimHMseries.php

I added spacers to the outboard side of the rear quadrant to make extra room for the rod end assembly:

IMG_6570.jpg

This also required replacing the AN bolts on the quadrant with longer ones.

I wish I'd just ordered the factory rear throttle. I found it extremely tedious and frustrating to work out the linkage between the two throttles on my own.

Use the correct part!

The quadrants are designed to use clevis ends - not rod ends. ACS has a kit for the 3 lever quads - you can get the part mumbers frrom that kit.

Carry on!
Mark

Rear Throttle

The quadrants are designed to use clevis ends - not rod ends. ACS has a kit for the 3 lever quads - you can get the part mumbers frrom that kit.

Carry on!
Mark

This is true for the front quadrant. However, the Van's rear seat throttle design requires a rod end bearing at the rear lever because the pushrod geometry has the pushrod centerline offset outboard of the rear lever.

Skylor

Last edited:
This is true for the front quadrant. However, the Van's rear seat throttle design requires a rod end bearing at the rear lever because the pushrod geometry has the pushrod centerline offset outboard of the rear lever.

Skylor

I would have very much preferred to use clevises, but doing so would have required a lot of modification of the mounting of both quadrants.

I don't really see the criticality of clevises vs. rod ends here - unless there's a situation where my backseater is fighting me for throttle control, there should be almost no stress whatsoever on these connections.

Thank you all for the pictures and the links! I will have to use the clevis pins... The Rod end bearings would be more nice, but I do not have the space... And i have already done the cutout in the plains' metal sheet for the back lever quadrant ...

Keep going! :)

Back