What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Day at the beach

rwarre

Well Known Member
Flying to Sun n fun from Colorado and would like a day on the coast prior to my Friday arrival at snf. Any airports that would cater to gen. aircraft that would be beach accessible?

Beach

I've been all over the world when serving in the navy and I feel the most beautiful beaches I've ever experienced are in Gulf Shores, Alabama or Pensacola Beach south of Pensacola, Florida. Both area have lots to offer. If you do stop, don't miss a visit to the Pensacola Naval Aviation Museum on the navy base in Pensacola. It's worth the time. Both of these area are pretty packed in the spring and summer months. Might need some reservations if you're planning an overnight. Another thought if you just want to stop for a few hours and want to take a short walk for a burger would be Dauphin Island, Alabama. There is nothing at the airport. No FBO or fuel. It's used mostly to ferry workers to the offshore platforms and back by helicopter. The burgers are maybe a 10 minute walk. There's a couple more restaurants on the island that will come pick you up and bring you back. There are some nice areas around Destin, Florida too but I've never had any experience over that way.

Clearwater Airpark - KCLW

RV friendly --- great support group! Only 15 minutes to the beaches.

Ron

all great suggestions

just depends on what you want to do. I've lived in Pensacola and Boca with several stops in between. Some of the most beautiful beaches and best seafood will be found in Pensacola. The Museum of Naval Aviation is worth an overnighter on its on. If you're just looking for a long lunch stop, you can't go wrong with Dauphin Island, Destin or Cedar Key. Venice is a little out of the way, but definitely worth the time.

FA43 Dog Island

If you are comfortable with grass runways go to Dog Island FA43. Heavenly place very secluded. The pristine beaches are a short walk. I've been there three times love it. Here is a little write up on first visit. We were also swimming there on Presidents Day 2018 :)

Back