What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which setup for O-320. 4-1 or 4 pipe system?

Cook11

Which system offers the best performance for a stock O-320 160hp? I am interested in the 4-1 or 4 pipe exhaust system?

Thanks!

I think I understand your question - so here goes....

If the 4-1 means that all 4 cilynder exhaust pipes go to a single exhaust pipe out of the bottom of the cowl, then....

It would seem to me that the 4-1 will require a slightly larger pipe coming out of the cowl to accommodate the flow of exhaust. The Van's cowl would need modification.

If the 4 pipe system means that all 4 pipes stay as separate exhaust pipes coming out of the cowl, then....

The 4 separate pipes coming out of the cowl would (at the least) fill the opening and then there wouldn't be enough air flow through the cowl to cool the cylinders. The Van's cowl would need modification.

Am I close to what you're asking?

My finishing kit came with the Vetterman exhaust system. It is 2 into 1. Cylinders 1 & 4 combine into one pipe while cylinders 2 & 3 combine into the other. Then there are just the 2 pipes sticking out of the bottom of the cowling.

Back