What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Suggested Routes KCNM to KPGA & Monument Valley

drill_and_buck

Well Known Member
Patron
I am currently planning a trip which includes a segment from Carlsbad to Page Arizona, inclusive of touring Monument Valley and other point of interests.

For pilots who have flown in that area I'm looking for suggestions on routes and cool places to visit. Leaving KCNN, I can either head north or take a westerly route. What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If you take the Westerly route...

Tucson area for the Pima Air Museum and Desert Museum - plus fancy resorts if the CFO is with you. :)

Phoenix area - lots, but I'll let the locals around there answer.

Stop at Sedona and/or Flagstaff for overnight stays

Then on to Page with a little bypass left over the Gran Canyon - check the special VFR chart to stay legal.

Slot canyon in Page. A must tour if your there. Should be added as an xx wonder of the world IMO. UT25 is not as isolated as it looks or sounds in literature.

Route

Depends on your comfort level with some really rough looking terrain. The best route for reasonable terrain is El Paso, Las Cruces, Socorro VOR, direct Grants, direct Gallup, direct PGA. From Gallup to PGA you have Window Rock, Chinle, and Kayenta, all good airports.

Mike you will have a blast it's a beautiful country down there. I criss crossed those woods several times within last 7 years love it doesn't matter which route you take.

If VFR you can head north tracking 285 past Roswell to N17. If not bouncy, drop down low and enjoy the scenery toward Moriarty 0E0. The trains will toot the horn for you. There is a beater crew car at 0E0 you can ride to town for lunch. Albuquerque is a good stop too if you decide overnight very affordable FBO.

Aztec N19 is a picturesque spot to refuel and look around. Top off there then head toward Ship Rock but don't land on 5V5 the runway is rough and there is loose gravel. Keep heading toward Four Corners monument it's cool to pass over four states in seconds.

Monument Valley will captivate you. Land at UT25 and relax a bit. Food there is the same as at KPYM airport cafe only twice the price. If you are staying at Page, make a sortie to Utah next day. Lake Powell, the mesas and canyons too many to count incredible views.

If IFR, well, the machine will spit a right track for you. Enjoy the trip it's a stunning country for us flat landers. Can't wait to visit again...

Depends on your comfort level with some really rough looking terrain. The best route for reasonable terrain is El Paso, Las Cruces, Socorro VOR, direct Grants, direct Gallup, direct PGA. From Gallup to PGA you have Window Rock, Chinle, and Kayenta, all good airports.

The terrain east of Page going toward Monument Valley in places is some of the gnarliest stuff I've seen, nothing but Greyhound Bus-sized boulders. Depending on your comfort level you might consider veering a little south from Page to follow the highway up to Goulding's Lodge at Monument Valley.

Set a waypoint to Chaco Culture National Historical Park and take a look at the ruins from the air.

IMG_6876-M.jpg

Then head over to Shiprock.

IMG_6889-M.jpg

From there it is a short leg to Monument Valley.

IMG_6917-M.jpg

Thank you VAFers

I love the wisdom of the crowd!

Much thanks for the suggestions. I have the last 10 day of September reserved for this trip. Will report back upon return.

Best,
MD

Living in the subject area, my advice is to fly early when the lighting is best and the air is smoothest. Flying over in the afternoon at 14k will cause you to miss the sights and the beauty. With good, early morning light, the colors come alive!

If not familiar with the effect of density altitude, please brush up. Most of the ground in this area is higher than the typical pilot cruises. Takeoff and landing at 11,000' DA is different. Cruising at 8,000' and skimming the ground is unnerving if not prepared.

Watch the winds aloft at 18k. That will tell you how rough it will be over the mountains. If the winds at that altitude are high (40kts), expect rough.

Depending on what you want to see and do, the whole area is a huge playground. Monument valley is neat but, sadly, it is a tiny little place (when going 150 kts). Be sure to see Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon (you can land at the airport and get a shuttle to the park to walk the canyon trail), Comb Ridge, Goosenecks, Capital Reef, Meteor Crater, Gila Wilderness area, etc.

If I were flying CNM to PGA and the weather/winds aloft are good, I'd fly west towards LRU to get around White Sands to the south. Then head direct to PGA or Monument Valley. This will take you over the continental divide and some great sights. If you want to see the lava flows and chain of craters, head towards GNT. If you want to see Shiprock, LRU direct to 5V5.

Another great option (for sights) is LRU to JTC (Springerville) to SEZ (Sedona) and then to PGA. There are also some really great backcountry strips available if looking to camp or do that kind of sightseeing.

The only real problem is that this is a MASSIVE area making it hard to see it all in one trip!

Last edited:
Back