What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing Intake Pipe Hose...

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
Hi,

I'm doing my condition inspection and see that I have two intake pipe leaks based blue stain. The leaks are where the pipe attaches to the cylinders. I have new gaskets.

I'd also like to replace the hose that connects the intake pipe to the sump. The hose have 1200 hours on them. Are there any tricks. The old hose won't budge, and so I'm imagining once I cut the old hose off, it will be difficult to get the new hose on.

Thanks,
Michael-

Intake Hose

No tricks. Just cut the old one off and slide on the new one with a little lube. Dow Corning #4 or engine oil works fine. The new hose will be soft and flexible compared to the old one.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Michael if you are replacing the hoses with Lycoming original parts, mark the edges on intake pipe before cutting the old ones. It will help you to gauge their position first time. Have fun there is nothing complex to change them.

I replaced all 4 of mine a while back.

Right or wrong, once I took the clamp to the sump loose and did the same to the attachment at the cylinder, I was able to twist the hose off of the sump fairly easily.

intake hoses and gasket replacement

I am about to change my intake hoses on my o-360. Did u use any special sealing compound at the gaskets?

Barry

A couple of my intake hoses are real close to my crossover exhaust system, so I replaced the rubber hoses with silicone rubber hoses that I bought on eBay. Also, there are better clamps than those worm gear "Breeze" clamps that bite into the hoses. I'm sure somebody here knows the part numbers.

I am about to change my intake hoses on my o-360. Did u use any special sealing compound at the gaskets?

Barry

No sealant required,but do check the flange clamps are flat. Most I've seen are bowed- even the ones on my factory assembled engine. Also make sure the tube sits a bit proud of the surface when properly seated in the clamp recess. The seal is achieved by smashing gasket between the small ring of the tube flange and the head, not the whole surface.

Or just fix it once and for all and grab a set of SDS O ring tube clamps.

STOP !!!!

While you are at it, just swap the inlet gaskets for the new SDS ones.

We have, stopped backfires, motor runs sweeter, nicely made etc etc etc...

Back