What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Analysis Problems

bhester

Well Known Member
Patron
I have used the ExxGard Oil Analysis, from Elite.etc, at each oil change since my first oil change 5 yrs ago. The last few times it has taken at least 3 wks from the time I sent it in, to get the results. My last one has been over 5 wks ago, last week I emailed them and they said they have looked for it and that they have never received it. They have also said that the problem is with the postal service. They said that they have to hand sort the oil samples and that they wait until there are a lot of them before doing so. Shipping is included in the price of the sample kits. $15.00

Is anyone else having the problem?

Is anyone else using a different oil sample kit? Which one? How soon do you get the results back?

I may try them one more time but I'll put the sample in a box and request a signature upon delivery, extra shipping cost, but might be the best deal.

Last edited:
I use AVLAB. Same issue. It would not surprise me to find out the postal service is inspecting our oil samples to determine if it is hazardous.

They also do the email notification.

Bobby, I too use Blackstone Labs. I just checked my last analysis. The email report was received about a week after I mailed it in their packaging.

Avlab here, usually is about 3 weeks from send to recieve. One time I think the USPS screwed up and just sent it anyway without screening it or whatever it is they do, I got that report in 4 days. All other times are about 3 weeks.

The box literature comes with a warning about long turnaround times when sending the sample by USPS.

I've been using Blackstone labs for years. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

They send an email with the results within days and follow with the snail mail copy.

Great people to work with. Family owned!!!

I've had the same experience as Darwin with Blackstone. I have nothing but positive comments regarding their service. I also like that they are very proactive with trend analysis.

bob

oil samples

In my current position I review about 100 oil samples a month from large industrial gas turbines to small air compressor and diesel engines. After evaluating several OA labs we landed with a company called WearCheck located in Cary, NC. I use their sample kits and have had excellent results as well, web posting within a week and a hard copy mailed to me. They have the standatd battery of tests but will also analyze wear metals under a microscope and send pictures so that not only the type of metal can be identified but also the mode of failure. When evalutaing labs we sent in "spiked" samples and Wearcheck caught them all.

In my current position I review about 100 oil samples a month from large industrial gas turbines to small air compressor and diesel engines.

Out of all the samples you have looked at, how many have actually warned you of something awry?

Back