What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spray Gun

asw20c

Well Known Member
I plan to prime my first parts this coming weekend with the Van's recommended P60G2. I noted that the Sherwin Williams data sheet mentioned spray painting at 50 psi, whereas the manual that came with the Harbor Freight spray gun says its working pressure is 60 psi. I have zero experience with any of this so I really don't know which to believe. Advice?

Pressure

Anywhere around 35-50 psi at gun regulator. Search for Southern Polyurethanes and go to the product tab. Adjusting you paint gun. Great company. The owner really is a great guy. Products are phenomenal. Tech help is great. Etc. etc.... I have been spraying professionally for decades and you won't go wrong with his product or recommendations.

Spray gun

I plan to prime my first parts this coming weekend with the Van's recommended P60G2. I noted that the Sherwin Williams data sheet mentioned spray painting at 50 psi, whereas the manual that came with the Harbor Freight spray gun says its working pressure is 60 psi. I have zero experience with any of this so I really don't know which to believe. Advice?

I spray P60G2 but use a gravity feed HVLP. Can't help much with a high pressure siphon gun.
I can offer a couple tips. Wear a good respirator at all times.
1. Take the primer to a paint store and have them shake the bejeesus out of it.
2. Before mixing, stir the bejeesus out of it. Solids settle to the bottom.
3. Mix 1:2, paint:catalyst.
4. Spray only till you perceive and color change then stop. Usually two sets of passes at 90 degrees.
Start with the gun recommendations for pressure and paint valve. Pressure is at the gun with trigger pulled to the first stage (no paint).
Post your results. Someone here can help fine tune.

One thing to consider is getting a larger hose. 1/2"min hose and high volume fittings. Maybe it is just my equipment, but once I changed to larger hose and fittings, my painting really improved. There is less draw down as I pull the trigger and zero spitting when I release it.

I used to work in a body shop and one big adjustment I found to spraying these lightweight aircraft parts is how easy it is to inadvertently blow them around while spraying. My HVLP runs around 18psi, and even at that I have to get creative to hold parts still while priming them. 50psi might cause things to go airborne sooner than planned!

I used to work in a body shop and one big adjustment I found to spraying these lightweight aircraft parts is how easy it is to inadvertently blow them around while spraying. My HVLP runs around 18psi, and even at that I have to get creative to hold parts still while priming them. 50psi might cause things to go airborne sooner than planned!

Been there, done that, cleaned the crud off after picking it up off the floor :mad: I learned a long time ago that the quality of a paint job is directly related to how you are holding the part and what access you have to it. Extra time taken in planning this is well rewarded. There are enough other variables to complicate a paint job that are difficult to predict. This one isn't.

The 3M gun sprays from any position. You can spray upside down because the paint goes into a bag and is sucked out of it so no air pockets. If you don't own a gun yet, it may be worth looking into. I just ordered one to make spraying easier and quicker clean up because the bags are disposable.

Back