What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel line vs. Flaperon mixture arm

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Apparently, there is a missing step in the RV-12iS instructions. You have to countersink or enlarge the holes on the three plastic "holders" for the fuel lines through the main channel. Otherwise you get this.

37296236_10156640126984216_4475167944598355968_o.jpg

Pulling those lines out to be able to get the plastic doohickeys off the large "studs" is going to make my day. But that's the way it goes.

Even if I do that, however, that looks like a REAAAALLLLLLY small clearance between the filter bypass line and the flaperon mixture arm.

Is there anything else I'm missing here?

Last edited:
Yeah, the tank is now directly behind the seats. The fuel line and return line come out of the tank bottom center, the lines go aft through the channel back to a shutoff and the fuel pump which sit on the baggage bulkhead wall, then exit back down the channel to a manifold near the firewall.

That instruction they left ouf of the plans, though, turnout out to be mportant. You have to take either a #19 countersink cutter or a step drill to the holes that attach the bottom half of the mylar block (fancy, we used to use sytrofoam back in the RV-7A building days) so that it fits OVER the nuts that hold the small bolts that act as studs for the blocks. Otherwise it raises the lines just high enough to hit the flaperon mixture arm.

As it turns out, It wasn't bad getting them off the studs in order to accomplish this.

Really, the incredible part about this kit is that if something doesn't fit right, you KNOW it's time to stop and figure out what you did wrong, because the design is perfect.

Apparently, there is a missing step in the RV-12iS instructions. You have to countersink or enlarge the holes on the three plastic "holders" for the fuel lines through the main channel.

Step 1 on page 27iS/U-03 (Rev. 1) says "Final drill 5/16", the holes in three of the F-01276C-1'S"
This makes them over sized to fit over the nuts on the studs.
With all of the parts installed correctly, the fuel return line is positioned below the mixer bellcrank arm, close to the belly skin.

I think (Rev. 1)is part of a Revision that will be posted the first of next week. The revision will also include a couple of other minor changes, one of which will be related to a part change that is shipping out to all who have fuselage kits (related to installation of the fuel pump and filters so that shouldn't cause undoing any finished work for current builders)

BTW, your main feed line is not positioned in the aft block per the plans........

Last edited:
Thanks, fixed.

I've been chatting with Jessica w.r.t. the new parts. I have to say I've been very impressed with Van's conscientiousness in rolling out the RV-12iS and the anticipated very design accommodations.

Back