What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Sandwich

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
l'm still laying out avionics locations behind the panel.
Previously we had this thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=1165045

In the panel I'm having dual 10" GDU-460, and down the middle top to bottom a G5, GTN 625, GNC 255, and GMC 307. (I want the com/nav sep from GTN).

I've got a good arrangement in mind on either right or left for a sandwich of the GEA-24/GAD-29, with the GAD-27 next to it or maybe sandwiched too.

Somewhere I want an IBBS, and with a standby alternator the B&C SB1B-14 standby controller, but those aren't big and probably easy to locate somewhere. Those could pretty easily be mounted on the firewall side of the sub panel too I suppose. To do that I was thinking of a little mounting plate that went over their holes with a nut plate for each screw, so it could be mounted on the firewall side with a screw coming from the aft side; no nuts to hold or tighten.

The pieces I'm looking for good ideas on are the GTX-45R, GMA-245R, and the GTR-20 that I want. Can those be stacked? Would they fit on the left side stacked up against the sub panel in a sideways lie? The GTR-20 mounts with tabs, the GTX-45R mounts with a slide-in tray. They are about 6 1/4 wide and about 10" long with the connectors on. The GMA-245R is smaller, about 5x9.

One idea I had was to stack them up from a support at the bottom of the panel/subpanel space. But it seems better to stack them on their sides, for a total extension aft from the panel of about 5-1/4 inches. Move them as far left as the panel allows.

I really don't want these back aft. I want short wiring runs especially for the GTX-45R, because of the high number of connections it takes to the rest of the system. Also to avoid interference with audio on the GMA-245R from a lot of things aft. I'm hoping someone can show me some examples of how they made a sandwich and placed these things.

An alternative is to put the G5 on the left panel, and use the center space for two of these remote boxes (or get the transponder/audio panels with faceplates in the stack). I might end up doing that and then only having to find a home for the GTR-20, easy enough.

There is an awful lot of space between the firewall and the sub panel. But I'm reluctant to land much there because of the difficult access once the fwd fuse panel is on (mine is off for the time being based on advice to do it last).

Last idea is that there is considerable space in the center stack behind the GMC-307 and the G5. The GAD-27 would easily fit in that space behind the G5, the GAD-29 even easier. The GEA-24 is too wide to fit between the rails and the depth with connectors on is 5" making it an awkward fit there. The problem with the darned GAD-27 is that connector on the top AND the side makes it hard to place. It also is intimately involved with a lot of the switching, most of which is on the left panel.

With that in mind, perhaps a sandwich of the GTR-20 and GAD-27 on the left sub panel. GAD-29 in the middle behind the G5 (hard to get to it below the stack behind the GMC 307), GEA-24 on the fwd face of the sub panel around the location of the map-box hole. Then a GMA-245R/GTX-45R sandwich on the right side like the pics in the earlier thread. Only thing is: is there clearance for the GAD-27 connector on top in a stack like that once the GDU-460 is installed?

Last edited:
Back