What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who has some good videos on building?

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
New builder here. I'm a pro pilot but not a mechanic! I have no idea how to do any of this. I have the preview plans but I didn't get anything out of that. I've seen some good threads here on tools to buy but how do I use them? I usually go to YouTube for my home projects. Are there any particularly good teachers/demos on line?

There's a lot out there!

It won't take much searching to find what you're looking for, on Youtube Jason Ellis is posting videos of his RV-10 build, and there are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of builder logs posted online which cover all phases of peoples projects. Bruce Hill, Mike Bullock, Smitty, and Bruce Swayze quickly come to mind. While builder logs aren't specifically what you asked about, you might just find them more helpful than a video, at least I did.

Good luck!

Sounds a bit like you could use a mentor, at least to get you started. The learning curve can be steep for sure.

Perhaps there's another experienced builder in your general area who can help get you going. A request here on VAF might find someone.

There are also builder classes which have been highly recommended.

While videos are helpful, these other things are considerably more so.

For specific questions, the archives are really helpful. The Tools section, for example, might be useful.

Good luck!
Dave
RV-3B

No I don't have a dvd player.

I do have someone near me that has a plane and has been helpful. I will be going to his shop soon.

I am considering one of the basic sheet metal classes as well.

It looks like Cleveland tool has some videos. I just watched two.

Thanks for the replies.

Synergy Air has a fantastic basic builders course. I second Jason Ellis on YouTube. Also check out Andrew Kilroy. Look at this site as well: http://www.goodplaneliving.com/rv10-build/. Lots of other video sites. These are good jumping off points.

Finally check out as many blogs as you can. Lots of great stuff (mine excluded).

No I don't have a dvd player.

I do have someone near me that has a plane and has been helpful. I will be going to his shop soon.

I am considering one of the basic sheet metal classes as well.

It looks like Cleveland tool has some videos. I just watched two.

Thanks for the replies.

I have some old DVDs that were very instructional that I can send you for shipping,sadly on DVD. Join the local EAA chapter plenty of help available.
RHill

Mentor

Sounds a bit like you could use a mentor, at least to get you started. The learning curve can be steep for sure.

Perhaps there's another experienced builder in your general area who can help get you going. A request here on VAF might find someone.

There are also builder classes which have been highly recommended.

While videos are helpful, these other things are considerably more so.

For specific questions, the archives are really helpful. The Tools section, for example, might be useful.

Good luck!
Dave
RV-3B

Second this. Join EAA, join the local chapter and attend meetings. Ask if anyone would be willing to mentor. I learned more in couple hours with my mentor than all the videos I watched. I recommend waiting on tool purchases until you spend a little time with a mentor. It will help you decide which tools you want.
Guess who was my Mentor.:D Thanks Dave.

If you really want videos, go to the EAA Webinar series. You can spend months watching.

While dated, the basics demonstrated on all the old Orndorf videos are valuable. No frills, no fluff, just the basics.

EAA TV Series "From the Ground Up"

Another source of video material is the TV show produced by EAA, "From the Ground Up." Although it depicts the building of an RV-8, like the Orndorf videos, the basics of building an RV are presented.

There were 13 TV episodes, and they were initially available on VHS tapes (remember them?), but I notice the EAA has the series available on 3 DVD's for $59.99. I imagine there are some for sale out there somewhere in RV land.

Here's the EAA link.

Take the EAA Sheet metal course, it is offered all over the country.

You will be able to ask the instructors question during the class and after.

One of their good instructors is Ed McGowen and if you Private message me I will send you his phone number. He can let you know the dates of the classes also.

a big help is start with a large table 3 foot by at least 8 foot. Level and well constructed. Or go to Home depot and build their work bench. it will work also but you'll need a couple of them

Back