What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taxiing the Tip up partial open.

Geeman

Well Known Member
I just purchased an RV-7 tip up (previous RV-6 slider owner) and was looking for ideas on how to support the canopy partially open while taxiing. It?s only March and I can tell it?s going to be brutal in the Texas summers.

Open tip up

Not sure if the 7 has the same handle for lucking on the roll bar as the 6. If it does, I just open the canopy, place the handle as if locked and rest it on the roll bar. Not as much air as an open slider but it does make a considerable difference.

I just purchased an RV-7 tip up (previous RV-6 slider owner) and was looking for ideas on how to support the canopy partially open while taxiing. It?s only March and I can tell it?s going to be brutal in the Texas summers.

Another tip: configure the safety handle such that it still locks with multiple layers of shrink tubing on the tab that will rest on top of the roll bar while you taxi....

Here is a photo I found in the VAF archives of a tip-up in the taxi position:

xzLQ1uX.jpg

Once the fan is blowing a lot of air moves through the canopy, TX summers will be OK.

Enjoy your new RV!

P.S. I managed to take-off once during the chaos of S-N-F departures with the canopy propped open....the blast of air felt fantastic until I realized I wasn't supposed to be feeling a blast of air.....the canopy will ride about 6" open and can be pulled back shut if you slow to flap speed....forget closing it at cruise speed.....

Last edited:
Fly the airplane

Sam, that is good information, I saw the results of a pilot trying to turn back to the field in a hurry because he took off with his canopy opened. The plane was a write off but he survived. I have taken off with the side lock in the unlocked position and was able to lock it once I slowed down. I aborted take off once when I started the roll and realized the canopy was still not locked at all. Just to confirm, there was no adverse flying conditions caused by the opened canopy nor any damaged caused by the open canopy.

We all like to think it can't happen to me, but it does and it is good to know the results prior to it happening.

Sam, that is good information, I saw the results of a pilot trying to turn back to the field in a hurry because he took off with his canopy opened. The plane was a write off but he survived. I have taken off with the side lock in the unlocked position and was able to lock it once I slowed down. I aborted take off once when I started the roll and realized the canopy was still not locked at all. Just to confirm, there was no adverse flying conditions caused by the opened canopy nor any damaged caused by the open canopy.

We all like to think it can't happen to me, but it does and it is good to know the results prior to it happening.

I found out after the fact that I should have slowed the plane more, I was climbing out in a mass departure and was not yet at cruise speed. But the canopy was so hard to close (115 kts?) that I thought the latch would be damaged. But it was fine with no trim problems while flying with the canopy riding open.

Slow to flap speed and lower the flaps to close the canopy helps a lot. Changes the airflow angle over the canopy.

I had a tip up on my 6, and I cut a notch in the forward face of the roll bar that allowed the aft portion of the latch to rotate "into" and lock the canopy open several inches.

Another tip: configure the safety handle such that it still locks with multiple layers of shrink tubing on the tab that will rest on top of the roll bar while you taxi....

That is some goodly advice, thank you!

And yes, people, the tip up flies just fine with the canopy unlatched, just a little different. BE A PILOT! FLY the airplane, don't panic!

My latch

had always worried about my canopy blowing open while taxing so a couple years ago I made this upper latch modification for my 6a. After seeing the "canopy incident" on this forum that occurred in Switzerland I'm glad I did. If you haven't seen the accident in Switzerland do a search for canopy incident

First picture is latch in taxi mode with nice airflow and second one is latch ready for takeoff.

First picture so I hope it works.

http://tgi.com/sites/default/files/s...?itok=_xx67Q6Z

http://tgi.com/sites/default/files/s...?itok=U9WrwdDE
I hope these old links work if not see below.

If you are interested in more info call me at 303-772.2202 or emailing me at klmoexpogmail.com

Dave

I had a tip up on my 6, and I cut a notch in the forward face of the roll bar that allowed the aft portion of the latch to rotate "into" and lock the canopy open several inches.
I understand how this would work but I am curious why you did it? What would this accomplish that the stock set-up would not? It would seem to restrict the amount of airflow coming in, so what is the upside?

I understand how this would work but I am curious why you did it? What would this accomplish that the stock set-up would not? It would seem to restrict the amount of airflow coming in, so what is the upside?

I read that as "slot" rather than a "notch". It might address the possibility of a tailwind/gust lifting the canopy when stationary and fiddling in the cockpit. It would seem the latch could only be in a locked position when activated from the inside.

Last edited:

That is pretty clever, but in the nearly twenty years of taxiing my RV-6 tip-up I've never felt the need for that modification. The propwash keeps the canopy down against the roll bar when in the taxi position.

The RV-12 canopy video referenced in a previous post isn't reason for me to worry about a mishap. If a tailwind is really severe during taxi, it is a simple matter to just close the canopy. The RV-12 has a different canopy design from the other tip-up RVs.

Back