What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Head set plug in location?

bret

Well Known Member
I am interested in placing the plugs rear of the seats, any pros cons? maybe a location to where one can reach behind the copilot and plug in for the pilot side? and vice versa? maybe on back rest or side? anyone do this, pics? Thanks.

Wanting the same, I copied an installation I'd seen which puts the jacks in the uprights outboard of the seats, above the armrest. You can see it in the photo just below the canopy latch pivot (click for bigger). There are also installs where folks have put the jacks vertical in the back of the armrest.

It's worked fine, particularly on the pilot side where my headset always stays connected; I lay my headset between the seat and the side skin before I get out, which keeps it out of the way.

If I had it to do again, though, I'd probably put at least the passenger jacks, if not both, forward in a visible location on or under the panel...my experience has been that they are hard to reach back there when seated, and if for some reason a plug needs to be "cycled," it's a bit of an ordeal for a passenger who can't visualize what they're doing, and you might need to reach around them ... I suppose depending on the passenger this could be a good thing or bad!

Joshua's comments are spot on. It's VERY handy to have the plugs easily accessible, because the first thing you're going to do in a lost comm situation is to check/jiggle those plugs. Sometimes my headsets will sound a little scratchy, but that will go away simply by giving the plug(s) a quarter-turn twist, or unplugging/replugging to remove a little oxidation on the contacts.

Low on the panel (stock location) works out really well, as the cord tucks in nicely outboard the lower seat cushion.

I relocated the vents up high for more direct airflow, and to reduce clutter where the headsets plug in:

Last edited:
+1 for panel mount location

iLoAsWy3vya7XP8a8

I personally have moved the plugs from either behind the seats or from the rear of the armrest to the panel on 4 different RVs. On mine and for friends. We all like it better in the panel after having them elsewhere.
It is a personal decision however and not everyone will agree on location. :)

Larry

Last edited:
Panel eh? ok, just thought it might be better if they were out of the way behind me. Maybe both locations?

Mine are mounted behind me. They are located in the armrest behind the elbow. I love them in that location.

The reason for that location was that the cable was not in the way in an emergency egress.

Test used was to sit in the airplane then try to get out as fast as you can without taking the headset off. (Simulated emergency.) When I tested having the headsets plugged into the panel, I took longer and I kept getting tangled in the headset cord.

Only thing I regret is not adding a LEMO plug with the typically headset jacks. After flying about 18-years, I added the LEMO plug.

Forward Bulkhead

I put mine on the left and right vertical bulkheads forward of the panel and near the top of the bulkhead. They are in line vertical and I lay the headset on the floor in the corner forward of the main spar. This on the floor location probably wouldn't work good for tri gear due to the gear socket in the same place.

The jacks are a tiny bit forward making them a bit of a reach and blind but still doable blind in flight.

I have flown several craft with aft locations and if you are getting old and stiff like me you won't like trying to twist around to mess with the jacks or turning on/off the anr.

Jim

Any suggestions for a tandem RV? I wanted to put mine on the right side to get the wires away from the throttle and mixture, but the wires tend to come out of the left side of most headsets. I am sure the best place will become obvious once I have flown for 50 hrs :rolleyes:

So any of you high time -4 or -8 guys I would like to hear your thoughts.

Scott

I put mine ao the right side up high on the bulkheads right behind the seats in my 8. Although I no longer have the 8, I had 10 years of not worrting about those wires. A clip on the wire, clipped to shoulder harness, kept the left side headset wires clear of any obstructions. I did mount a small hook forward of the plugs to run the wires over as I had the QT sets with a small control box.

Jacks location

I fly a couple of of side by sides. 1 has them in the armrest just aft of your elbow, works well enough but difficult to reach once you are are strapped in. The other has them on a little sub-panel under the air vents, which is better but you need to be careful getting in or out and they intrude on your space a little. I'm going to shamelessly copy a 6 that I saw and put mine under the canopy deck about where the slider roll bar meets canopy deck. Jacks were one above the other and in a custom fabbed little metal box. Sitting in the plane simulating plugging and unplugging in this location seem to work great and all extra cord length just lays between seat and sidewall.

Don Broussard

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

I am interested in placing the plugs rear of the seats, any pros cons? maybe a location to where one can reach behind the copilot and plug in for the pilot side? and vice versa? maybe on back rest or side? anyone do this, pics? Thanks.

Wherever you place then, I'd make sure that they are accessible in flight and a different headset can be plugged in, in flight.

Friend of mine got a ride in a Phoenix motorglider and you cannot get to the plugs in flight. When the pilot's headset failed, they could not swap headsets via the plugs.

So they swapped them on their heads but the pilot had to push the PTT on the pax stick.

Might also be worth while thinking of how to leave the plane in an emergency. Is there a location which would permit the plugs to pull out if you don't remove the headset first? Or be very easy to remove with no thinking?

Dave

Plug locations

Might also be worth while thinking of how to leave the plane in an emergency. Is there a location which would permit the plugs to pull out if you don't remove the headset first? Or be very easy to remove with no thinking?

Dave

I though the same. Don't place them vertically. Plugging in upward and they won't pull out if you climb out with the headset. Plugging in downward and the jack becomes a funnel for debris. I'm going with panel near the vents or maybe a fabricated panel on the forward end of the armrest. Either way, one good yank in an emergency and both should come out.

Back