What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insulation for center tunnel?

RV9A Bill

Well Known Member
Has anyone put insulation in the center section of the cabin floor (7/9A) under
The brake lines and fuel line? I am thinking about putting a piece of firewall
Insulation there for heat and to further cushion those lines. Is there some reason this would be a bad idea?
Bill

I asked about this a while back, and based on advice from several builders, put down some rubber/insulation something or other about 1/4"-1/2" thick foamy stuff (have to go look and see what it actually is...ACS sells it).

My question here...how would that area get wet? It's covered by the center cover from firewall to the fuel selector valve, surrounded on two sides by angles, and unless your riveting job is really poor, it's hard to see how water could come in from underneath.

Is there a leak path I'm not seeing here? Because if so, I want to close it...

My question here...how would that area get wet? It's covered by the center cover from firewall to the fuel selector valve, surrounded on two sides by angles, and unless your riveting job is really poor, it's hard to see how water could come in from underneath.

Is there a leak path I'm not seeing here? Because if so, I want to close it...

You name it. There are many ways it can get wet.

You leave the canopy open and a sudden shower of rain occurs. (Don't ask).

You spill your favourite beverage while flying (again don't ask).

You spill the contents of your porto john while on a long cross country (Never done this)

Condensation.

Liquid will find its way down and if it is corrosive like cold coffee, coke or other stuff, then.....

I would not fit insulation here. You can way up the pros and cons and make your own decision.

When you install it leave a path for fluid to flow if it does get in, ie: do not bring it all the way to the angles and leave room in the back. Drill a drainage hole under the fuel valve.

Has anyone put insulation in the center section of the cabin floor (7/9A) under The brake lines and fuel line? I am thinking about putting a piece of firewall Insulation there for heat and to further cushion those lines. Is there some reason this would be a bad idea? Bill

Depends on the insulation. The forward floor panel tends to melt through given an engine fire. Ceramic or even glass would be relatively safe, but anything like the closed cell vinyl foam referenced above is a very poor choice.

I think most of the 10's are getting the tunnel insulated now. Seems a foil/ceramic something is best. Sure does help keep the fuel goodies cooler. That's what is in the 10 I finished (thanks Sean) and my tunnel is actually cool to the touch in flight.

Foil-wrapped insulation

What I had in mind was a foil-wrapped insulation material. The drain holes are a good idea. I have them just aft of bulkheads already.
Bill

Depends on the insulation. The forward floor panel tends to melt through given an engine fire. Ceramic or even glass would be relatively safe, but anything like the closed cell vinyl foam referenced above is a very poor choice.

Not questioning your statement, but only adding that if the forward floor panel does melt, the insulation in the center section tunnel would seem to make very little difference. What is your line of thinking here?

We carry several items of interest to this thread.

insulation products

We also carry aqueous foam fire extinguishers. They are safe to use on anything, including skin.

There has been much discussion regarding this topic on this forum. Do a search on insulation if you want to know more. You owe it to yourself and your passengers.

As I said, there are many differing opinions on cockpit insulation. However, I think it's safe to say that YOU should consider all information and POVs. And always have an escape plan.

My escape plan includes cotton clothing, nomex gloves, a foam extinguisher... and if those fail, a PARACHUTE!

I put soundproofing under false floors and also the "sandwich" method.

If fire reaches that area, I have a plan. It's to find an open area, push the nose down, push the throttle in, and get it over with.

Back