What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another one leaves the nest!

SteinAir

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

Most of you know we're not just avionics guys but also RV guys. I Thought you might like to see the latest bird to leave the nest here at the shop (RV9 Taildragger) that is owned by my dad/brother. Modeled after a young nephew's plastic toy, it's been nicknamed "The Clown Car", "Rubik's Cube", "Harelequin", etc.. but it won't be mistaken for anyone elses! Signed off last Saturday, we've already managed about 10 hours on it and adding more every day.

I tell ya, it's really quite fun blasting along at about the same speed as my RV6, but landing at the speed of a Citabria. Handles great on pavement and grass (where it's destined to spend most of it's life). Overall a great/fun plane and possibly my new favorite RV. I also have to say my first experience with the Catto prop is really good. SMOOTH and the plane gets off the ground every bit as fast as my C/S powered -6, just doesn't climb quite as fast, but top end speed appears to be around 192 mph (using GPS and Kevin H's spreadsheets).

Anyway, just wanted to share. This is my first set of hours in a -9 taildragger and I REALLY, REALLY LIKE this plane! ...and yes, the prop does have 3 different colored blades on it; and yes we drilled the canopy deck rails like we've done for years (we call it the SteinAir Machine Gun mod)! :)

Cheers,
Stein

RV9rfsm.jpg

RV9rrsm.jpg

RV9cockpitsm.jpg

What to do with half a can of leftover paint

Stein, some kind of high visibility anti collision paint job?? :D

Our son likes it "thats cool"

I will withhold my wife's comments.....

So tell us about the panel already.

Last edited:
It's a very modest day/night VFR panel with 1 x AF3500 EFIS and 1 x AF3500 EM, an SL30 radio, Garmin txpdr, Garmin Aera 510 and PMA-3000 (for listening to the Ipod). Nothing crazy, but overall just an excellent setup that makes for nice cruising. Interior is classic aero and very comfy. Overall I'm more than pleased with the performance and am falling in love with this thing - too bad we have to give it up in a few hours! It's just a "comfortable" airplane, especially at the lower end of the envelope. Slips like mad, flies fast, flies slow and handles like an RV....plus with the little wheel on the back end, you can go bombing in and out of little grass strips to really take advantage of the performance the -9 has to offer. :)

Cheers,
Stein

You have to give it up? You, as in SteinAir or you, as in your dad/brother have to part with it already?

I assume that is a Garmin 327 and the AmeriKing decoder? I have that set up but I am starting to suspect the Ameriking encoder isn't all that great. How do you like it?

Love it!!!

Overall I'm more than pleased with the performance and am falling in love with this thing - too bad we have to give it up in a few hours! It's just a "comfortable" airplane, especially at the lower end of the envelope. Slips like mad, flies fast, flies slow and handles like an RV

Cheers,
Stein

See why I have 800 hours on Mine?!!!! No grass strip bombing for me - the -A model suits me fine(for now) It does slip very nice - express elevator down! They go XC on the cheap just fine, too!

Love the colors - my daughter said "Neato!"

What no OP stuff

It's a very modest day/night VFR panel with 1 x AF3500 EFIS and 1 x AF3500 EM, an SL30 radio, Garmin txpdr, Garmin Aera 510 and PMA-3000 (for listening to the Ipod). Nothing crazy, but overall just an excellent setup that makes for nice cruising. Interior is classic aero and very comfy. Overall I'm more than pleased with the performance and am falling in love with this thing - too bad we have to give it up in a few hours! It's just a "comfortable" airplane, especially at the lower end of the envelope. Slips like mad, flies fast, flies slow and handles like an RV....plus with the little wheel on the back end, you can go bombing in and out of little grass strips to really take advantage of the performance the -9 has to offer. :)

Cheers,
Stein

After all the fun you had with My OP panel I though sure you would want one too!

Gary Specketer

That plane reminds me of a car that was for sale in the 90s. Nice plane.

VWGolfHarlequin+Art+Car.JPG

Interesting colors

The colors reminds me of the time when I thought I would get my daughter involved in my aviation passion by letting her choose the colors for my new parachute gear bag. The result was she, a preteen at the time, tried to use every color for panels and piping she could get on it. It was not what I was looking for but I made a commitment so I ended up with a gear bag that everyone noticed and knew which one was mine.

Sure like those colors!

Beats the heck out of those swoopy swirly hide-in-the-crowd schemes that so many folks are using these days.

Dave

You have to give it up? You, as in SteinAir or you, as in your dad/brother have to part with it already?

I assume that is a Garmin 327 and the AmeriKing decoder? I have that set up but I am starting to suspect the Ameriking encoder isn't all that great. How do you like it?

As soon as is practical it leaves MN for it's permanent home in Sturgis SD where Dad & brother live.

No encoder installed (you don't need one with AFS or most EFISes), and yes a 327 txpdr. We all sorta laughed about the colors too, but strangely enough it looks pretty darned good in person.

Cheers,
Stein

You can now pick up RV kits at Toys R Us. For all ages 6 and up, some assembly required. :D

I like it

A contemporary art masterpiece!

Dear All,

Let?s say that this funny and colorful -9 TD is...
... a contemporary art masterpiece!
Please take a look at "Troca-Troca", by Jarbas Lopes (2002):
http://www.inhotim.org.br/uploads/Obras/ecd7974b2e8ea633c7910e72a1c2828b_media.jpg
The 3 VW beetle are displayed at Inhotim Art Museum (www.inhotim.org.br), near Belo Horizonte, capital of Minas Gerais state, in the southeast of Brazil.
Besides the rich botanical garden designed by Roberto Burle Marx, the museum has one of the greatest modern and contemporary art collections.
Congrats for choosing the tail dragon!
Best regrads,

Ramiro

lets see, flight plan filing, color of aircraft, hmmm, all of the above.

very nice balance of muli colors. cant see the ailerons. maybe purple?

Last edited:
lets see, flight plan filing, color of aircraft, hmmm, all of the above.

very nice balance of muli colors. cant see the ailerons. maybe purple?

Ha! The ailerons are the same blue paint as the fuselage. Only 4 colors used (the same 4 of the little tikes hammer that we used as the muse)....Red, Blue, Yellow and Green. All standard primary fleet colors (read inexpensive) and easy to fix/paint. That being said, In really bright sun, the red wings reflect the blue fuselage and you will get some definate purplish hues! If I had the money I'd buy a Harlequin VW for my brother to park next to this thing.

I agree with many folks who've emailed me off list.....the RV-9 is definately an under-rated airplane that Van's should really market a lot more aggresively because it's a perfect plane for pilots of almost any skill level or experience level; and even though it's supposedly "non aerobatic", it handles like an RV. :)

Cheers,
Stein

Admit it, Stein ... you painted the plane those colors because you're a REAL GUY. The only colors that REAL GUYS recognize are found in the original 8-color Crayola crayon box.

Magenta? Nope.
Puce? Nada.
Vermillion? Not thinkin' so.
Mauve? LOL.

Red. Orange. Yellow. Green. Blue. Violet. Black. Brown. Period. :D

Drill Rails???

Stein,

Might be a dumb question but why do you drill the canopy deck rails?

A big thanks to my brother Stein, Jed, and the rest of the gang at Steinair for the great support and assistance during our RV 9 build!!!

Yes, we did get the inspiration for the paint from my son Beck's little tikes hammer! I looked at it one day and thought - "that would be a unique design for our airplane." Well we didn't come up with any better ideas so that's how we ended up with the "clown car". We wanted a bright, inexpensive, simple - yet highly visible paint scheme that would stand out in a crowd!

My dad and I are VERY excited to finally get it done. We currently fly a nice old Citabria, which is great, but look forward to all the benefits of the RV 9.

Last edited:
Welcome to VAF!!!!

John and Zweit, welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

Being related to Stein, it is about time you joined up:rolleyes:

Enjoy that new plane:D

The color scheme is in good company.
BMW-M1-Andy-Warhol-Art-Car-sa-lr.jpg

BMW M-1 Art Car painted by the great artist Andy Warhol.

Copying is the finest form of flattery?

Stein

I give up. I have been driving myself crazy deciding on my pain scheme. Blue? No, yellow! No, how about red?

So, i give up. Can i just I steal you paint scheme?

Back