VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-15-2018, 04:00 PM

Sad news indeed! Tragic loss for Jon's family, friends, and our RV community....
We always enjoyed watching their night airshow performance.https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=1500w
Rolling Prairie, IN
Old 10-15-2018, 04:15 PM

Default We will all miss you Jon

Especially at Oshkosh Homebuilt. You were a very humble example of a pilot whose expertise didn't need any explanation. God speed my friend, I'm glad I got to know you even for just a few times our paths crossed

Blue Skies & Tailwinds
RV1 N1583 "Mockingbird 1" SOLD
EAA volunteer SNF

HBC volunteer/chairman OSH
Tech counselor
Old 10-15-2018, 05:58 PM

Jon really helped me with detailed pictures and dialog on how to accomplish the horizontal stab reinforcement SB on my RV-7. I'm one of thousands that he helped.

Been putting it off since Saturday morning out of sadness and grief, but just watched Haley-batics and Haley-batics2 again. So much fun and so much love shown on those clips!

Jon's family is in our thoughts and prayers. Blue skies and tailwinds, Jon.

Merrill
Old 10-16-2018, 10:08 PM

Although I never met Jon I feel as though he was a friend, vicariously through the VAF forums. My sincere condolences to his family.

Godspeed from your northern friend
Old 10-17-2018, 10:54 AM

Unhappy A sad day indeed ...

I can’t add much to the tributes offered here on this thread. One could read the words offered by close friends, casual friends, and even those who never met Jon and get a pretty good idea of who he was. Even though I no longer fly, I check in here nearly every day to see what’s happening in the RV world — always wondering if I’ll read bad news about a friend.

Two memories of Jon always pop into my head whenever his name came up — “Haleybatics” and the time the tornado damaged his plane at Sun-n-Fun. One represented the very best of family bonding in an RV, the other was an example of the very best of the RV community.

We’ll all miss Jon, but the memories he gave each of us will live in our hearts. My condolences to his family.

Builder: RV-8 "Smokey"
Old 10-18-2018, 07:44 PM

Default So Sad to see

I have been shamefully absent from VAF and decided to check the front page out today for the first time in many months. Like others, I’m stunned to see the sad news.

Jon was a mentor of mine vicariously because I never had the pleasure of meeting him. We did exchange emails on RV building subjects and he always had an encouraging word.

It is a real tribute to see that literally every VAF and RV world friend I have has contributed to this thread. That says volumes about the pilot, builder, friend he was to so many.

Blue skies and tailwinds Jon
Gary Palinkas - Gman.... VAF #161
Venice, Fl
RV-6 "Sassy" Flying 400 hrs since Oct 2011
Lycoming 0-360 A1A, FP Sensenich Prop
SARL #19 .... Van's Calendar March 2015
Although exempt several ways, =VAF= Dues paid to support this awesome site/family
Old 10-23-2018, 05:56 PM

Default good

preparing for the missing man formation. great service in Cincinnati for Jon Thocker. Haley's speech was inspirational, remember this girl.

https://www.facebook.com/WKRCTV/vide...7637341119802/

after glow.

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 10-25-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:49 PM

Add one more to the list of people Jon touched. He has stayed with us in San Diego, I have stayed with him and Deb in OH, we have flown cross country together. Spoke just 4 weeks ago. This one has hit hard.

When we’re all done, he’ll be there waiting for us with that trademark grin of his.

Be safe ya’all.