- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2018, 11:43 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
So, is this landing light going to be available separately? The one I see on the website has four lights. Below images from FlyLED site.

If the three light system is available I would buy those. My original plan was to install the Baja Design lights in both tips like this.

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016 (sans fiberglass)
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017 (sans fiberglass)
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Old 07-04-2018, 04:27 PM

Default My Understanding

From previous posts from Paul, my understanding is that three of the lights (bottom) are for Landing and the fourth light (top) is for Taxi.
The adjustment of the Taxi being more pronounced for those choosing to drag tail.

If the adjustment is significant enough, I plan to use that fourth lamp as one more available for landing, but on a separate CB so I can turn it on while on the ground and not use the other three. (I bought two units - one for each wing in my 9A, so I will have six lamps for landing and two lamps for taxi / landing.)

By the way Mike, please confirm for me where Joseph is. I may just have to investigate your local airport this summer. I am home-based at Albany S12.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:54 PM

Hi Michael
Yes, we sell the individual spotlights. There is a two spot and a one spot version. (Link here)

When I began this landing light journey my first design was for three spots on a single circuit board, but I quickly worked out that the geometry wouldn't work as well. There'd be some long screws and springs involved, and the lights would have been mostly hidden inside the wing due to the angle of the light face.

The four spot design evolved from some other requests I was also getting for a leading edge light. It might just fit into a W-715-1 (newer RV-7&8) wingtip but there's be no room left for anything else!

Old 07-09-2018, 07:16 PM

Default Completed Installation

I completed my FlyLED "The Works" installation today. I replaced my existing landing lights (2x50 Halogen per wing), 2 wing strobes, and tail position light with Paul's system. I could not be happier with the results. For the instant gratification crowd, here's a link to the photos - https://randyking.smugmug.com/FlyLED...ighting-System

The system I replaced was adequate at best but, because there was no strobe in the tail, it wasn't night legal. The stock 50x2 halogen landing lights in each wing had been replaced by the previous owner with low wattage Home Depot LED bulbs. The landing lights were worthless. And, replacing them with halogen bulbs was not desirable. I've seen the amp draw on four of those bulbs and it ain't pretty! So, I was looking for an LED solution for the landing lights and 360 degrees of strobe coverage. I looked at a lot of potential solutions but nothing came close to touching the $800 price point for Paul's system.

I received the kit from Paul and began the project. Building the boards was very straightforward. Just follow the directions closely and use a good quality solder system. I use a SMD workstation but only because that was the cheapest route to a decent, temperature controlled soldering iron. It only cost $60 bucks. An excellent investment if you plan to do any serious solder work.

You have to pay close attention when soldering the components to make sure you put them on the right side fo the board. Paul's boards are reversible so you have to make sure you get left and right correct and solder stuff on the correct side.

I broke one of the strobe LEDs while bending the tabs. It was the last one that I installed so I though I had it down. Maybe I was moving a little too fast. Paul didn't quibble, he just sent me a new LED. And, he found it somewhere close by on Amazon and shipped it direct to me - in just a few days.

That was really the only issue with building the boards. I was able to bench items them all successfully before moving to the airplane. Having a decent 12V power supply comes in handy here but you can make do with a 9v battery and some jumper wires with alligator clips.

The majority of my time went to making the aircraft modifications and installing the necessary wiring. I decided to pull the existing wingtip and tail light wiring and replaced it with wiring that Paul sent me as part of his harness kit. You could quite easily make up all the wiring yourself but, for $80 Paul's kit makes it easy and he includes a connector for the board that is of better quality (inserted dsub pins instead of soldered ones) than the one that ships with the basic kit. I had to remove both wingtips, all the underwing access plates, all the floor panels, the baggage panels, the tail access panels, tail fairing, and a couple of the side panels to route the wires. Finding a place for the controller board was also a challenge. I ended up mounted it under the floor on below the pilot seat.

Trimming the boards to fit and modifying the wingtip coves takes some time but isn't overly difficult. I decided to paint the board to match my wing color which greatly increased the construction time required. But, I think it also greatly improved the looks of the system. Masking for painting isn't difficult but does require some care, good tape, and a sharp knife.

My airplane had a wig-wag system already but I eliminated it to use the much better system provided with the kit. I also installed a switch to enable the Taxi Flood feature.

Everything works very well. I'm exceptionally happy with the final product and with the quality of the kit.

I highly recommend FlyLED's THE WORKS system!
Randy
RV-8 N184RK (flying)
Flying an A320 to pay the bills
Exempt and gladly donating anyway - Current through Jan 2019
Old 07-11-2018, 01:25 AM

Default FlyLEDS lights

Folks,

I visited Paul at FlyLEDS in Melbourne today. After meeting, we figured out we met years ago while he was working on a mutual friend's RV-10 down here. I ended up buying 2 of the dual and 2 of the single landing lights assembly's from him, as I already have the position/strobe units installed in my tips since I started flying my plane 7 years ago. I always wanted to find something that used way less power than the little halogen lights I installed and these are going to fit the bill.

He also showed me one of the tip assemblies he is building up for someone else and boy are they bright and will make your aircraft highly visible. These are very nice units and he has done a really great job with them.

He was getting a bunch of units ready, and I think he will have some for sale at Oshkosh, so if you are interested, check them out. You won't be disappointed if you install his units. They are designed to be a direct replacement for some of the RV's, so check out his website and see if he has the ones for your tips.

Brian
Old 07-11-2018, 04:59 AM

I have flown this new system......I have a video and a "Review" to post shortly.

Bottom line is these are AWESOME.

YOU WILL BE HAPPY.

David Brown

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 07-16-2018, 12:28 AM

I might be the first one to do some night flying with the new "THE WORKS" system, so I have done a video review for everyones benefit.

It runs 12 mins so it contains photos, video and commentary. Sorry i babble on so much

These are exceptionally bright even during broad daylight, like today. I landed mid morning today and a couple of people came over to the fuel pump to comment on how bright they were even on a cloudless bright sunny day.

I am happy, did I mention that?

Video Review here;
https://youtu.be/SEgquI4qjbU

David Brown

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 07-24-2018, 01:15 PM

Default Oshkosh Special on "The Works"??

Just wondering if there is a OSH special on "the Works".

TJ
RV-10 N331JH 3rd owner (First flew in 2005, #15 flying)
Northwest Regional 52F
Old 07-24-2018, 03:07 PM

Default Put me down for a set..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul from Flyleds View Post
For those of you lamenting the fact that you cut your leading edges already, don't! It's a fantastic spot for lights to go.
So if you already have some metalwork in there from Team Aerodynamix or Duckworks, how about this then?

Designed as an oversized board so that you can trim it to fit your application, but the larger circle around the spots is 100mm diameter and represents the hole size of a PAR36 globe. In other words, it'll drop right into place.
Note the top LED is adjustable for angle. That one can be a flood lens for taxiing, especially suited for you non -A drivers.
It exists on the computer only for now, but we should have some in time for Oshkosh where I'll be hanging out with the awesome crew from Flyboy Accessories, right behind the Van's display.

I want a set of those. Inquirng minds that canít get to OSH this year want to know.

VAF #818
Saint Simons Island, GA. KSSI
PIF 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018.

I just wish I could afford to live the way I do