What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT Propeller recommendation

salto

Well Known Member
After supplying required information to MT in Germany here is their recommendation.
I was trying to get a four blade(cool factor only) after reading about the performance they are achieving (no real performance advantage)
They came back with 74in three blade.

Type: MTV-12-B/188-59f
+ Spinner Assy P-469-2

Love the look of the 3 blade prop! If you don't mind me asking, is there much of a price differential between the Hartzell and the MT prop. Any operational restrictions (ie certain rpm ranges)?

Thanks Jim

Current quote I have for MT is 9,700 euros plus freight.
Don't have a price on other 3 blade props.
They state that it is 29lb lighter than an aluminium one. Not sure what that would do to weight and balance.
Don't have weight yet to do W&B.

Yes, the 3 blade does complicate cowl removal (when my hub goes, I will go back to a 2 blade). It makes it very difficult to get off, especially if you have engine extras.

Does a three blade prop complicate cowling removal?

Yes it does (though there are mods that can be made to make it not too much more difficult)

They state that it is 29lb lighter than an aluminium one. Not sure what that would do to weight and balance.
Don't have weight yet to do W&B.

Pretty simple.... It will move the empty C.G. further aft than it it would be if a Hartzell prop. was used.
It is a pretty simple W&B calculation using the published W&B sample and the different weights for the different propellers to calculate what the difference would be.

Yes agree Scott just not sure if it puts it past the aft balance line as I don't have the prop weight yet. Might be a no go just not sure yet.

I have the 3-blade MT on my -10 and I can tell you it is super-smooth. Everyone who has flown behind a 2-blade prop comments. Also, there are no resonance issues so no limited RPM bands.

Yes, the bottom cowl removal is a little more difficult but not excruciatingly so. I assume the -14 has a similar arrangement. You just need to extend the gear slot and fit in a cover plate. With a tailwheel, I guess there wouldn't be an issue at all. Thinks - why didn't VANS produce a tailwheel version of the -10?

It is also, apparently, a few knots slower in the cruise, but another plus is that you get a couple of inches extra ground clearance.

Good morning Rob, for the IO-390 we would recommend our three blade hydraulic propeller model MTV-12-B/188-59f. The weight of this prop including the spinner assembly is approximately 56 pounds. The price for this prop is $12,500 including the spinner assembly, the spinner comes completely finished and ready to bolt on your airplane.

Peter Marshall
Vice President

Isn?t the B.A hartzell prop also 56 lbs?

I would Stay away MT. I had an Issue with them and took a lot of time and money to get it resolved and communication with Germany is terrible. Nothing is done herein the US.

I would Stay away MT. I had an Issue with them and took a lot of time and money to get it resolved and communication with Germany is terrible. Nothing is done herein the US.

What?????? Sorry but I have to call you out on this one....

I have owned 5 aircraft w MT's. Currently own two of them a TBM850 w a 6BP and my MX2 w/ and MTV9-203C and have gotten nothing but perfect service from both Peter Marshal in Deland, FL and from Eric Greindl VP of Sales in Germany.

No, I am not sponsored by MT nor I am someones Bro in law....not even a free sticker. (try getting one)

The MT is a great Prop and prized correctly! the people are #1 and all very approachable as you will expect from a service provider.

Sorry about your bad experience! Not here...

That's the prop I have on my 7 with a 360 angle valve.

It is great for smoothness.

Light weight and the heavy engine go well together my CoG means i can load up with fuel and baggage as well as a passenger with no problems.

The bit I like best is the way it gets me off the ground, and helps with the landings as well.

I have no problems getting the cowlings on and off due to the prop. The spinner is the tight bit. Once you have got past the spinner there is plenty of room.

I'm not convinced there is any great difference in performance that can be attributed to a particular make or style of prop as a general rule.

I wouldn't have anything but a 3 blade composite VP. But everyone has their own pet loves.

Well, that ain't all..

I changed from a 3 blade MT to the newer (at that time) BA Hartzell 2 blade. Weight difference was ounces - not pounds. I was looking for SPEED.

Found it: the 2 blade Hartzell was 10kt faster at Reno. MT has not offered a better or newer 3 blade for me to try...

I recall that some wise fella said that the most important thing in an aeroplane was that "it should be speedy" - not photogenic.

My 150hr MT paperweight is still upstairs, waiting on the next build to finish up. I'll fly it for a while then change to the Hartzell again.

Hey Mitch, Lucky you..
I needed spinner and the crush plate for a Electric MT prop It costed $1500 and 6 weeks to be made, Is that a great price. On top of the extremely high cost, long time to make it came all full of problems that i had to align and re-drill everything. My question is why did i pay that much for something that was supposed be a perfect fit just bolt on.
I tried going thru the Florida office but got diverted to the Germany office....
I will never buy or recommend this brand to anyone.

Hey Mitch, Lucky you..
I needed spinner and the crush plate for a Electric MT prop It costed $1500 and 6 weeks to be made, Is that a great price. On top of the extremely high cost, long time to make it came all full of problems that i had to align and re-drill everything. My question is why did i pay that much for something that was supposed be a perfect fit just bolt on.
I tried going thru the Florida office but got diverted to the Germany office....
I will never buy or recommend this brand to anyone.

Sorry about your bad experience. Not me on the contrary, exemplary beyond normal. How is the electric prop? Hear conflicting reports

Back