What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extra Baggage Door ???

Dustyone

Well Known Member
A friend of mine sent me this picture of an RV-10 on Trade-A-Plane.
kd8W4SGlNpKpoDSSgTVKJ4qrvVeuXaWkS_q8g-M7UFCCstiUr7tqt7qLukoF1h-8xSuEri650j0vR0a081QwnZNbXMvIS5SBvX7YFRRgMgo2VH9LR-MHZf8NeBEPfXFtrUS43-zzVJI8h2g2pd37EA_R9TEGieaK5Z6F_nzwPcu9tsRxhlCFhyy0TMZIbTnnJCgJuYZLUQSsVPI2OSYHI7vWeAFiIIfyn8Tna7xILV00cgnhj7I5zUgw1jE6-gPc0VqNifoMoJqB0ZICFU0wTyltB3dl_y6k8u-xU9mPfgSsSCpyhmhoHZD7OQ3nwNs3z2JCBHmvNRif-3y-YlMfIZFG_tZVo4aUJCG761FsSkDe3N1cmnQ_74STGiSl28g7MqSZdO1Ke-VKcCF-OhesFiXTuacBqNduONjueaGY1XCilOwIRuYcYC-mixz5dzZAmDTPBuk_Sn1_8onNivRWL6AbNZSLh_nNvvDqqHZwb7vukvlFHqSYGoGhb_d2u51BQw6iwFVWKcv8TBiS6V7_hx2-OGb_BU6TDw6Qb6zG6MPCKvh15I3i8i8v_gYSFnwyBimK0aTFRKUo-yI9IFDk7iEsDPTXw5GK6XeZBJdYRBs0-LgE2rw-Jn0o2Co1CVrn9gwGHEMTGzHEQTQ7Z_iiz-NDKGzv1LCt3w=w750-h496-no

I have never seen this mod before on an RV-10 and while I understand the builders desire to use the space for storage of light items,the thought of cutting into a structural monocoque skin to put a door into it makes me hope that proper engineering analysis was done.

The aircraft has since been removed from Trade-A-Plane. Does anyone know anything about this aircraft or the mod ?

No idea, but just to take a stab at it-------AHRS access or maybe air conditioning access?

Notice it is not just a simple lock holding the door, but a series of bolts or camlocks. Makes me think this is not for daily use.

There's a number of times I wish I had a door like that. Taking the baggage bulkhead covers off and putting them back on is not a fun chore, even with a bit driver.

Agree it looks handy for access to remote air data stuff. But I also agree, I'd want to know something about the engineering that went into such a large opening in the stressed skin.

Or, make a small door in the baggage compartment bulkhead using a couple of pieces of hinge material. Easy access, and with a flashlight you can inspect most of the tail cone.

Car

I did this and worked out great, not difficult to do, provides nice access.

rkn1uu.jpg

2z406eu.jpg

9i4x6o.jpg

Extra baggage door?

The baggage compartment bulkhead is structural and prevents some twisting motion. Did you do the engineering work to veriify that you did not compromise its integrity?

Back