What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightspeed Ignition wiring question

cardinalflier

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of doing a complete panel upgrade in my RV-6 that I did NOT build. Today, I discovered that power is hot to the circuit breaker for my Lightspeed Electronic Ignition even when the master switch is off. I don't understand why the Lightspeed is not wired to a bus controlled by the master switch. I have only one lightspeed, and no back up electrical system. What am I missing? It seems that the Lightspeed should be wired thru the master switch for power. Thanks, Bruce Estes

My Lightspeeds are wired hot and controlled through a "MAG" switch. I control the ignition through these switches, but power is always available to the LS's if these switches are on, regardless of Master position. Direct from STBY BATT. , always hot.

I never want power not available to my electronic ignitions.

I'm in the process of doing a complete panel upgrade in my RV-6 that I did NOT build. Today, I discovered that power is hot to the circuit breaker for my Lightspeed Electronic Ignition even when the master switch is off. I don't understand why the Lightspeed is not wired to a bus controlled by the master switch. I have only one lightspeed, and no back up electrical system. What am I missing? It seems that the Lightspeed should be wired thru the master switch for power. Thanks, Bruce Estes

Lightspeeds are wired hot as per installation instructions. If your charging system packs up and the battery depletes, your master solenoid will open thus cutting off pwr to your ignition. Lightspeeds will operate with your battery voltage at 5-6 VDC which is not enough to keep your master solenoid closed

I'm just installing my Lightspeed Plasma III and doing research tonight. I'm finding that Lightspeed recommends not going through the master as this is another failure point. The 12V. power does not pass through the Ignition switch , it just goes to the module. Lightspeed recommends the 12V. power goes to a pullable breaker, some have a problem with unswitched 12V. power lines and install a fuseable link or fuse at the battery instead of the breaker.
I'm no expert ,just reporting on my research. I'm sure I will get corrected, but that helps in my research.

All installation manuals can be found on lightspeed website.

It is wired that way in accordance with the installation manual. The primary reason, I believe, is that if you should ever have to shut off the master due to an electrical fire or fault, you're not also killing one of your ignition systems. I have direct experience with this and I was glad I didn't lose my LightSpeed in addition to everything else I lost.

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE

Back