What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bose X vs. Bose A20

Bavafa

Well Known Member
Hoping to get some feedback from those who have used both headsets and wondering if there is enough advantages in upgrading from Bose X to the A20.
Any feedback on A20 would be very much appreciate it.

I would say there is a difference in favor of the latter. I flew with X for several years logged over 3K hours and loved it. Light, crisp sound, a perfect headset. Then I purchased A20 to try it seemed bulkier at first. Sound was on the same perfection level if not more. Clamping force was different. I kept one X and occasionally used it. Then it phased itself out in favor of A20. Nearly two thousand hours on it just excellent. Sometimes I fly long days with other pilots and they like to bring their headsets. I see them tired more then me by the end of the day. Our RVs are noisy inside.

I love my A20?s. I went from the Bose Series 1 headset to the A20, so obviuosly those were big and heavy and no comparsion to the X.

My big question to you and Vlad:

How long did the ear pads work on the X vs. the A20?

It seems the A20 ear pads wear out in just over a year!

I just ordered cheapo non-bose on Amazon for $11 a pair.

I have both an A20 and X in my RV-7. Honestly, I like them both, but find the A20 to be a bit more comfortable.

Bonus to having the latest model: last year at OSH I walked them over to the Bose booth, and they installed new ear seals, a new mic, new down chord, new battery box (with the upgraded bluetooth that will stream music), and performed an electrical evaluation free of charge on the spot. Flying home it was like having a brand new headset! For the X, I think they were charging a couple hundred bucks for the same service.

Paul

I recently received an email from Bose stating that they would no longer be able to repair the X model, so that may sway your decision.

They also offered me a couple hundred bucks off a new A20 if I wanted to trade my old one in, but it wasn't enough to make me want to open my wallet.

I've run both, in our 172 and in my 9A. After trying a pair at Oshkosh when they first came out and flying home with them in the 172, I immediately bought a pair for my 9A and sold my X's, and Carl eventually replaced the other pair of X's for the 172 with A20's. I've put five trips on them with individual leg lengths over 6 hours and they don't hurt my head and ears like the X's did.

They are more expensive, and they are worth it.

Last edited:
Flew several years with the X models, they were certainly good but now have 20s and love them.

Thank you all for your feedback. I should have mentioned that I have a pair of X model and debating if I should upgrade. Mine are in excellent condition but it seems there is enough incentives to upgrade.

2 of each

I have two of each and always relegate the Xs to the back seats.

As much as I like the A20s, I'm not currently planning on upgrading the back seaters from the Xs. Perhaps some day.

I will say, once I had one A20 headset the wife made sure I purchased another. It was implied I would loose the A20 whenever she was in the plane if she didn't get her own pair.

Flew with the X?s For 5 years. Had DC 10.13X prior to the Bose. Recently upgraded yo the A20 and love them. Drowns out my Rotax like I?m flying a glider. LOL, not sure if that?s a good thing or not, but I?m very pleased with the A20. Flying back from CA to NY, getting a phone call while enroute, was a new experience for me. Love the Bluetooth.

The Aviation X was first launched in 1998 - it's now a 20+ year old design. The A20's were first launched in 2010 and was updated in 2015, so it's design is a good 10-15 years newer. The A20 has better active attenuation, so it's significantly quieter. It had new/redesigned microphones, new drivers, stronger design (yokes), and is slightly wider, so IMO, they are more comfortable. Pretty sure the battery life is also better, but don't quote me. I always keep mine in my case and never leave them in the sun, and have never replaced a pair of cushions. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Bose X vs A20

I fly with 2-X?s and 2-A20?s in our -10 and we recently upgraded the X?s to the Oregon Aero ear muffs at Oshkosh. It made them almost as comfortable as the A20?s. Definitely worth it if your going to keep the X?s.
I also think th me A20?s are a little more quiet and comfortable than the X?s overall.

The Bluetooth feature on the A20 makes it a home run, paired with my cell phone it works quite well.

Any thoughts on the A20 vs. DC ONE-X?

I've been a DC user for 30 years (both H10-60 and H10-13XL) and have been very happy with both their products and customer service. That said, I also had a Bose Aviation X for awhile when I was instructing in the T-6, as the DC's ANR wasn't a match for the R-1340.

I'm planning to try them both at SnF next spring, but any early input would be appreciated.

If you are talking of DC Pro-X with smaller cups I had an opportunity to test those. No comparison with A20. Noise will beat you up by the end of the day.

I think the ONE-X are the bigger cups for GA.

I use the Pro-x in the work airplane and they are nice and light for long flights.

But they aren’t good for the RV.

Last edited:
If you are talking of DC Pro-X with smaller cups I had an opportunity to test those. No comparison with A20. Noise will beat you up by the end of the day.

No, not the Pro-X, the ONE-X. I hate both in-ear and on-the-ear products and only ever wear over-the-ear headsets.

Back