What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR Avionics Regs

Muuvie

I'm New Here
Whilst waiting for the meat and potatoes to come in for assembly, I've got my eye on dessert. Bonus advantage is I can try and figure out if I have to save up a lot for avionics, or a lot lot.

My mission is a primary VFR for funnsies plane. That being said, it should be available as a fast XC, and weather happens...so IFR is required. I see conflicting responses on various flying forums and didn't know if there was a clear cut snippet of regulation that clears this up.

What's the reg for IFR? Is an experimental aircraft with non-certified avionics like Dynon legal for flight in/approaches in IFR? Or does it have to be equipped with units such as a certified Garmin.

I almost don't want to admit how many times I had to read that to figure out what they were getting at, but I got there eventually. So, for IFR, the answer will be a lot a lot to save. I think I'll be switching to standard kits and and a used motor to accommodate for this.

SNIP...
What's the reg for IFR? Is an experimental aircraft with non-certified avionics like Dynon legal for flight in/approaches in IFR? Or does it have to be equipped with units such as a certified Garmin.

The Dynon SkyView system will do everything needed for full GPS approach capability other than the TSO GPS navgator. Here something like a GTN-650 is needed to feed the SkyView to be legal (precision GPS approach). Older units like a GX-60 (if you can get the nav data updates) or the GNS430 would be legal for non-precision GPS approaches and enroute navigation. A VOR/ILS nav receiver (like installed in the GTN-650 or 430, or stand alone like the SL-30) coupled to the SkyView provides the VOR or LOC non-precision approaches or the ILS precision approach.

In practice using the GTN-650 once an approach is selected it, and the missed approach are displayed on the SkyView. The SkyView PDF HSI displays the CDI and GS. I find I rarely look at the GTN-650 display during the approach as it is far inferior to the SkyView display.

Carl

Older units like...the GNS430 would be legal for non-precision GPS approaches and enroute navigation.

A 430W is good to go for precision GPS approaches, too (LPV, LNAV/VNAV, what have you).

In practice using the GTN-650 once an approach is selected it, and the missed approach are displayed on the SkyView. The SkyView PDF HSI displays the CDI and GS. I find I rarely look at the GTN-650 display during the approach as it is far inferior to the SkyView display.

I've not done much IFR in the RV since completing it, but whether under VFR or IFR, I'm the same...I almost never look at the 430W after putting in the flight plan or selecting the approach. It's just a front-end data entry box to me, with the Dynon being the primary instrument.

I almost don't want to admit how many times I had to read that to figure out what they were getting at, but I got there eventually. So, for IFR, the answer will be a lot a lot to save. I think I'll be switching to standard kits and and a used motor to accommodate for this.

Basically, if you consider that your IFR experimental plane will cost you $90k to complete, you'll be pretty much on target - 30 for the kit and build itself, 30 for engine and prop, 30 for avionics. Seems high, but when you get into it, its the small things that really nickel and dime you to death, and they add up.....like ADSB...what a bank breaker. IFR GPS, that another one that will break the bank. Paint another. Even sourcing good used stuff can sometimes bite you, but you wont know until way way after you bought the stuff (and I'm all about used stuff). Thankfully you spread all the costs over 6-10yrs, and you can go from minimalist plane to maximalist over your lifetime. But in the end, its still a 90k-ish figure IMHO.

To the OP: It sounds like you have a fair time to go before completion. If so, I?m sure you?ve read the standard advice: dream, but hold off actual purchases until as close to the end as possible. And keep an eye on GRT: they are quietly adding gps approach ability to their HXr and HX boxes. Currently for VFR only, but clearly they are hoping the faa changes its rules on needing a TSO, just as they have in now allowing nonTSO?d Dynon D10?s and Garmin G5?s in normally type certified aircraft. This could drastically lower the ifr-gps cost, if it happens.

Back