What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alodine on 4130 Steel - Problem?

StressedOut

Well Known Member
I thought I was being so careful and thinking ahead. I wanted to protect the fastener holes on the hinge brackets on the horizontal stabilizer from corrosion by applying Alodine on the bearing surface. I took the brackets, thinking they were aluminum, and immersed them in Alodine to cover the bearing surface. These brackets, at least on the RV-14, are powder coated.

It was later in my build I realized that the hinge brackets were made of 4130 steel and not aluminum. I suppose the powder coating should have been my clue.

Now I'm concerned I may have compromised the steel with the Alodine. I've heard some rumblings about embrittlement of the steel with exposure to Alodine. I know of hydrogen embrittlement of steel, but I don't know if this is related. Since this is a very critical part in that failure of the part = loss of the airplane I don't want to take any chances.

Does anybody know about this? Can someone point me to some information? I've tried a Google search and nothing comes up specifically about Alodine and steel.

I can deal with replacing the hinge brackets on the horizontal stabilizer right now since I haven't yet riveted the rear spar assembly into the skin. I planned to do that on Sunday. I'll have to drill the rivets out, but that's no big deal at this stage of the build.

Hydrogen enbrittlement is a by product of electroplating. It has nothing to do with alodine chemicals.

Back