What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corrosion on chrome cylinders

Robin8er

Well Known Member
Has anyone seen corrosion on chrome cylinders? I have a 320 I got as part of a deal. Engine has been sitting in a humid environment. I looked inside the spark plug hole and it looks like the chrome is separating from the cylinder wall. It looks like a spider web inside. Distinctly different from cross hatching.

Are these cylinders junk or is there any hope of saving them?

Has anyone seen corrosion on chrome cylinders? I have a 320 I got as part of a deal. Engine has been sitting in a humid environment. I looked inside the spark plug hole and it looks like the chrome is separating from the cylinder wall. It looks like a spider web inside. Distinctly different from cross hatching.

Are these cylinders junk or is there any hope of saving them?

Don't know much about chrome cylinders, but if the environment was harsh enough and exposed long enough to make the chrome separate (not easy to make chrome separate from base metal), I believe that you need to pull that engine apart and check everything. It may not be the full extent of corrossion issues.

Don't know about the spider cracks though I suspect that is enough to red flag them. If the chrome has separated from the steel, they are definately no good. Though they can be overhauled and re-chromed I believe. Not sure that is much of a savings over new these days.

Larry

Last edited:
I don?t know if it?s correct but a well known engine shop told me chrome cylinders manufactured before 2000 provide outstanding service. Problems began around 2000 where new EPA requirements required changes in the chroming process and the cylinders have more issues.

Thanks for the replys. I'll still pulla jug and have a look. Glad to know that's what chrome cylinders look like. The piston is perfect. Not that that means much. (Engine hasnt been run since it was built).

Thanks for the replys. I'll still pulla jug and have a look. Glad to know that's what chrome cylinders look like. The piston is perfect. Not that that means much. (Engine hasnt been run since it was built).

Good move, as the cam and tappets are probably more of a concern.

Back