Looking really great Larry!
Systems and electrical...
Old 09-22-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFeeney View Post
My first thought looking at this picture -
“Wow somebody made a tail dragger -10”

Looking really great Larry!
With the engine and nose gear on, I only have about 1" of clearance in the front and back in the garage. Not enough room to maneuver for painting.

Larry
Old 09-23-2019, 07:31 AM

Hi Larry your RV10 looks great! Do you happen to have any pictures of the paint booth you built? Im about to paint my rv10 project in my 3 car garage but still thinking on how to setup a booth.

Thanks
Bill

Finishing a RV10
Old 09-23-2019, 09:15 AM

I used a 10 x 20 plastic car shelter from Pep Boys. Filters on one end and a fan at the other end. Sealed along floors and corners with gorilla tape, put florescent lights at all four corners. This was for an RV-7. Might be a little tighter for a 10.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Hi Larry your RV10 looks great! Do you happen to have any pictures of the paint booth you built? I’m about to paint my rv10 project in my 3 car garage but still thinking on how to setup a booth.

Thanks
Bill
No paint booth. I almost made one, but was concerned about the fan pulling in the plastic, as well as the static issues related to plastic, not to mention building a door. I just put tarps over the floor and tools in the 2 car section of my garage. Left the door open 2' with a fan Having other garage door open helps some.

I had very little dust issues. I learned some time ago that most of the dust comes from the painter and not the booth. I wear a tyvek suit and it works. I would sweat several gallons, but its the cost of DIY. A nice side benefit is not having crunchy hair for 2 days from the clear coat. Some parts needed a wet sand and some were passable without it. I have learned that cut and buff is just a cost of painting something in your garage. Unless you're good enough to lay slick clear consistently, you're probably going to do it anyways. Grounding any aluminum parts also helps, as the high pressure spray creates static electricity, which attracts dust. I also spray water on the ground before spraying, though in the summer temps it doesn't stay there long.

a 10 x 20 booth will be very limiting, especially if the plastic is getting sucked in by a fan. Don't forget that you will also need a ladder to spray the top of the cabin top, plus a creeper for underneath. I would not have enjoyed spraying the fuse while constrained within a 10' booth. That leaves only 3' per side (before accounting for the plastic being sucked inward) and nothing at the front or back. You also need a door and if that isn't sealed, what's the point. Without a constraining booth, I was able to shoot the entire lot of empennage parts in one session.

PM me if you want to discuss details.

Larry

This weekend's effort. Top sides are wet sanded and don't care about a bit of orange peel or a few dust nibs on the bottom side Don't know how you would do this with a 10' wide booth. I have decided to do the buffing once in Phase I. Will give me something to do on days I can't fly.

Last edited by lr172 : 09-23-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:39 PM

I painted my aircraft myself and I think I did a pretty good job.
I painted totally outside, early in the morning as the sun gave me enough light.
I first thought bugs and dust would be a problem. To my surprise, no problems little to no bugs nor dust. Usually the wind is nil, there is usually a light dampness in the air at that time of the day, that keeps the dust down. Of course you have to be ready to move the object outside quickly and have your paint ready as well. Time is not on your side if it takes more than 2-3 hours.

On the first plane I painted, I built a booth, fans, filters lights and all. I have found that this works as well, with less work.

I cannot say that in the outside there has not been a bug, if you leave it alone, after the paint drys, you can just scrape it off with little noticeable smear.
Happy painting

RV-7A N1243A Sold
Old 10-28-2019, 07:22 AM

Was so glad to have the final paint on cabin top done that I had to post it! Still lots of fiberglass work to do, but this feels like a milestone! Getting the top smooth enough to paint (VS headliner) was a challenge!

Flying Mooney M20J
99% done / 99% to go! Panel & engine are now complete!.
Donation Happily Made 2020
Old 02-10-2020, 08:22 PM

Getting started, hopefully picture comes through

2019 VAF Dues Paid
RV8 N189DK

Last edited by andrewtac : 02-10-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:36 AM

Default Taken just prior to first flight

Keep workin'

Like getting old, one day you look up from the work bench and realize you are done!

[IMG][/IMG]

I have 15 1/2 hours on the plane. It would be more if the weather would cooperate
Dues paid 2020