VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-12-2018, 08:07 PM

Default Pitot tubing problem

I'm in the process of converting from steam gauges to a SkyView system in my RV-6, and am ready to provide a pitot source to the ADAHRS. the original pitot line behind the panel is soft aluminum, 1/4", I believe. I need to supply the Garmin G5 at the panel, and then route a polyethylene line aft to the ADAHRS. Does anyone know of a fitting to go from aluminum tubing to poly? If not, any ideas on how to otherwise interface the two?

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2018, 08:25 PM

I believe you can use the same push on fittings from Cleaveland tools and Stein air to connect the two. All of those fittings are not made the same, though. Premium parts use a stainless steel "one way" retention spring, but some don't and can slip off.

For my pitot with 3/16 aluminum tune I used a AN fitting and flare, then NPT to push-on adapter.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18

Last edited by BillL : 09-13-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:50 PM

I guess the first thing I need to figure out is the size of my existing aluminum tubing. Is it measured by O.D. or I.D.? Also, what is a "Unfitting"

Thanks
Old 09-12-2018, 09:02 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbon View Post
I guess the first thing I need to figure out is the size of my existing aluminum tubing. Is it measured by O.D. or I.D.? Also, what is a "Unfitting"

Thanks
It is probably 1/4" tubing. A solution that has worked for a couple of decades in my RV-6 is joining the two tubes together with a piece of 1/4" rubber hose. This is very low tech but works nicely. If you ever need to disconnect the junction just split the rubber hose and reconnect with a fresh piece. I find neoprene fuel line from the local auto emporium is a good fit, no need for clamps.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the response Sam. Seems like using the rubber hose to connect would work well for joining two aluminum tubes, but I need to connect the aluminum to a poly line. I wonder if this would work, given the softness of the poly tubing?
Old 09-12-2018, 09:34 PM

Default Easy

I just heated up the plastic tube with a heat gun and slipped it on the aluminum tude. In my case the aluminum tube was from the pitot static sensor. A little safety wire keeps it all secured.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Extra dues paid 2018, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings done less tips and avionics
Fuselage 30%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 09-12-2018, 10:11 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Thanks for the response Sam. Seems like using the rubber hose to connect would work well for joining two aluminum tubes, but I need to connect the aluminum to a poly line. I wonder if this would work, given the softness of the poly tubing?
Works fine for the poly tubing if it is the same OD as the aluminum. Make your rubber splice hose about 3" long. After pushing everything together you won't be able to pull it apart.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks
The wonder of spell help. [and poor proofreading ]

AN fitting , and mentioned tubing of these sizes are typically described by external diameter.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18
Old 09-13-2018, 01:57 PM

Default Safe Air one.

We had put in aluminum to begin with, but once we got to installing a modern glass panel, we found it easer to just pull it all back out. Then we got one of the Safe Air pitot static line kits and put their lines and fittings in. With their quick connect fittings, it make it so easy now to change or service our panel or heated, AOA pitot static system. You just slide the tubing into the fittings or push the release to uncouple it from the fitting. Our panel and our heated pitot tube come out in minutes to be serviced now. If you add a "G-5" or AHDAR" down the road you just splice in and install a tee fitting wherever you need.

Just an idea here, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Last edited by Robert Anglin : 09-14-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:35 PM

Stein has some conversion fittings. If the link below doesn't work just go to Stein's website and search Pitot.
https://www.steinair.com/page/2/?sea...sttype=product
N777JT Reserved