Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2018, 05:30 PM

Talking On what planet can an RV-12is be built for $67K?

I'm seriously considering building an RV-12is. I'll need to sell my current aircraft as it gets close to engine time. One thing driving me a bit nuts is that it seems like Vans does a really nice job on price clarity for all their aircraft with one exception: the RV-12/RV-12is.

In every article, I see the following price estimates for a 'flying airplane': $67,430 - $87,910. It's on Vans site too: http://vansaircraft.com/public/kit-prices.htm

I understand that the more options you choose, the pricier it gets. But no matter how you slice it, the barebones kit costs $26,160. Add to that a 912is engine package and you're at $61k before avionics which were $14k minimum for the RV-12 and I'm sure they'll be about the same or more for the RV-12is. So, you're at least $75k for a base plane and that doesn't include crating and shipping. Even if you opt for the 912ULS motor you're at $70k.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think the RV-12is is an AMAZING aircraft and a very good value even at the high end of $87-89k fully loaded and all in (tools, self paint job, etc.). But the $67k just seems...odd. If I could build a base RV-12is for $67k, I'd already be building. Sorry for the rant, I can't wait to get started!
Old 09-10-2018, 05:42 PM

Default RV12 Prices

I think you are mis-reading the data. The basic kit price for the ULS is $67k and the iS model is $89k for the BASE kit. This is not a price range. Also note the +
sign after the $89k!! There are a lot of pluses including all the fun you will have building
Finish kit done
Avionics in
And then there's paint

"I have enough money to last me for the rest of my life.
As long as I don't buy anything"
Old 09-10-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
I think you are mis-reading the data. The basic kit price for the ULS is $67k and the iS model is $89k for the BASE kit. This is not a price range. Also note the +
sign after the $89k!! There are a lot of pluses including all the fun you will have building
Correct that I misread it as a range, but even base ULS will come in at $71k+ assuming the Avionics pack so the same prices as the gen 1 RV-12 at $14.8K....26.1K+14.8K+30.2K = $71.1K

I would agree though, I'll be adding a lot of +'s as I won't be able to help myself. I like shiny!