VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-11-2018, 03:17 PM

I quoted renting a truck to drive a kit from Oregon to Texas and it was around $1000 and over 20 hours. Not worth it in my opinion.

Also, I'm in Caddo Mills building an RV-7. Probably an hour from Tyler. I'm planning on flying there for lunch this weekend, actually.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:58 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
One other idea would be just to rent a one way U-Haul and take it yourself. You get to see the country side and might save a few $$$. This is what I did, though my distance is not nearly as far as yours and it worked great. I got all the kits, including finishing kit and did not need any crating which saved $$$ .
This might work out for some, but when you count the rental, the gas, and time to drive it yourself (including one way transportation to get in position) the percentage saved is small. I have a kit coming from Wisconsin later this month, and I did the math - far easier to let Tony do it. Maybe a few dollars more - but Id spend those buying material to build support structures in the rental to make sure nothing shifted on the way....
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com