VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What certification class is your FLYING RV-12 in?
E-AB 6 18.18%
E-LSA 25 75.76%
SLSA 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2018, 07:39 PM

Wink RV-12 certification class

After nine years away from the RV world, and having changed jobs and lost access to company aircraft to fly, I think it's time I get myself into another aircraft. I've flown various other aircraft and for the most part been quite disappointed... nothing flys like an RV!

Lots of ideas are floating around my head including an RV-12iS so I'll be hanging out here a bit trying to learn more about this little animal. One of my first questions is how most folks are certifying them, E-LSA or E-AB, hence this poll. Let's collect some data here and keep it as clean as possible...

PLEASE VOTE ONLY IF YOU OWN/FLY A FINISHED AIRCRAFT
RV-8, first flight 2001 - sold 2004
Old 09-07-2018, 09:25 PM

Randy,

Personally I certified mine as an ELSA to hedge my bets as I get older and may not want to keep renewing my medical. Then basic med came along, but I still see value in using the driver license as a medical and the fact that a buyer could do all he maintenance after doing a weekend repairman course.

Rich
Old 09-07-2018, 09:37 PM

Default Just for clarification.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
Randy,
Personally I certified mine as an ELSA to hedge my bets as I get older and may not want to keep renewing my medical. Then basic med came along, but I still see value in using the driver license as a medical and the fact that a buyer could do all he maintenance after doing a weekend repairman course.
Rich
Classification of the aircraft has absolutely no bearing on whether or not you need a medical. As long as the aircraft meets LSA parameters it may be flown by a sport pilot with a valid driver's license. It can even be a certified aircraft like a J-3 Cub.

Anyone can perform all maintenance on an ELSA or EAB aircraft. Repairman certificate is only needed for annual condition inspection.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 09-07-2018, 09:39 PM

Anyone, even your teenage neighbor, can do maintenance on an experimental aircraft no matter if it is registered as an E-AB or E-LSA. The advantage of E-LSA is that a new owner can do the annual condition inspection after taking a two day course and getting a repairman's certificate.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:50 PM

Mel and Joe,

I agree with your comments. My thinking at the time was that the ELSA certification would eliminate any debate about needing a medical certificate. The comment I made about maintenance was incomplete. I was used to EAB rules with my other projects where the repairman license only applied to the builder. The fact that a buyer could get an ELSA repairman license and do the annuals seemed that it would make the eventual sale easier. My lawyer skills failed me on my last post,😜

Rich
Old 09-08-2018, 07:57 AM

Default Why ELSA

Randy, I don't currently own or fly an RV-12 but I built and flew one for a while.

When I built my 12, I was pretty sure I would only keep it for a short time. I also have a -7A and I promised my wife I would only keep 1 airplane. As much as I enjoyed flying the 12, I just couldn't give up my 7A.

Knowing that I might sell the plane, I built with re-sale value in mind. There is no doubt in my mind that the E-SLA has the best re-sale value if the build quality is done to a high level.

The E-LSA is a known quantity. An E-AB may be just as good but potential buyer may not understand why your deviation from the Vans design made it a "better" airplane.

I'm presuming the only reason a person would register a 12 as E-AB is because the didn't stick to the Vans design or they sourced some components from a 3rd party.
RV-12 (ELSA, Dual G3X), SOLD
Highland Village,TX