Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2018, 05:51 PM

I bought mine from Vans and it is the McFarlane product. Price was $215 a couple years ago.

Mitch Garner
N2ET
Old 09-21-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
As stated, this is NOTHING AT ALL like a typical vernier throttle. Does not operate the same way at all. There would be no difference whatsoever flying with this or a regular throttle cable.
Thanks for pointing that out Dale, sorry for assuming. Is throttle creep a problem with the fuel injected iS, or only the ULS?
RV-8, first flight 2001 - sold 2004
Old 09-21-2018, 06:02 PM

iS is totally different, and the iS airplane has a totally different style throttle control as well.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 09-21-2018, 06:49 PM

I'm building a 7 and have been looking at the vernier assist cables and have been wondering about formation flying. I have flown and didn't like the old pushbutton vernier throttle. Randy, have you looked at the https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/ar...sist-controls/ type cables and do you think that would be accepted at a FAST course?

Brian
Whirl Wind 200RV
Dynon Skyview Touch
Old 09-22-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdalporto View Post
I'm building a 7 and have been looking at the vernier assist cables and have been wondering about formation flying. I have flown and didn't like the old pushbutton vernier throttle. Randy, have you looked at the https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/ar...sist-controls/ type cables and do you think that would be accepted at a FAST course?

Brian
Brian, I don't know. I've never had chance to put my hands on one, but the McFarlane site says "Coarse adjustments are made by pushing the knob inwards or pulling the knob outwards. Fine adjustments are made by rotating the knob clockwise or counterclockwise." When formation flying you will be making constant fine adjustments so if this throttle impairs that ability in any way then it would not likely be allowed.

Personal opinion: over the years I've learned that the throttle is your friend in landing any small aircraft in that you can make tiny little adjustments on short final to adjust your glidepath and touchdown point while still carefully managing your energy so as to not extend your rollout. I've found throttle micromanagement even more useful in the roundout and flare where tiny little adjustments can make all the difference between a smooth and short touchdown versus dropping in our floating way down the runway once you learn to use it. I discovered this while flying quite a range of aircraft from RVs to Cubs to Bonanzas.

Just my own opinion and technique, YMMV.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:51 AM

The Mcfarlane throttle feels no different than any friction push/pull throttle. The friction is adjustable. When there is any friction set, twisting the knob makes fine adjustments. I have one in my Rotax powered airplane (Rans S19) and there will be one in my current project RV9.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
Brian, I don't know. I've never had chance to put my hands on one, but the McFarlane site says "Coarse adjustments are made by pushing the knob inwards or pulling the knob outwards. Fine adjustments are made by rotating the knob clockwise or counterclockwise." When formation flying you will be making constant fine adjustments so if this throttle impairs that ability in any way then it would not likely be allowed.

Personal opinion: over the years I've learned that the throttle is your friend in landing any small aircraft in that you can make tiny little adjustments on short final to adjust your glidepath and touchdown point while still carefully managing your energy so as to not extend your rollout. I've found throttle micromanagement even more useful in the roundout and flare where tiny little adjustments can make all the difference between a smooth and short touchdown versus dropping in our floating way down the runway once you learn to use it. I discovered this while flying quite a range of aircraft from RVs to Cubs to Bonanzas.

Just my own opinion and technique, YMMV.
I haven’t installed one “yet” in the -7 that I’m building, but I can tell you it’s definitely the one I’m going with. I did get to play around with the vernier assist a little bit while I was at Oshkosh this year and I can tell you it’s as smooth as butter. I think when the say that “coarse adjustments are made by pushing the knob inwards or pulling the knob outwards” may not be the best description. It’s as smooth as any standard throttle cable with the locking nut and I don’t think you’d have any problem making those fine power adjustments on landing as you described. I just think that this throttle cable gives you the best of both worlds without any compromise.

Mark
Old 09-22-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrisl View Post
The Mcfarlane throttle feels no different than any friction push/pull throttle. The friction is adjustable. When there is any friction set, twisting the knob makes fine adjustments. I have one in my Rotax powered airplane (Rans S19) and there will be one in my current project RV9.
There we have it, thanks for the confirmation!
Old 09-22-2018, 11:11 AM

Hey Randy,
Any better recommendations over the stock quadrant in the -8 (2 lever)?

And, looks like your signature could use some updating.
You in Seattle now?

Cheers!