- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-05-2018, 04:54 PM

Default FS: 1983 RV-4

First Flight: 6/18/1983 by A&P Bob Olds
Annual: 05/2018

Price: $27,500
Contact: PM is fine / EMAIL is better. Happy to share personal cell number to speak or text once we establish communication. Email is: natenelson(dot)cfi(at)gmail(dot)com

Engine: Lycoming 0-320-e2g / 150hp
Prop: Props Inc, 68x68, static RPM 2250

TTAF: 1780
TTE: 1990
SMOH: 1500

Empty WT: (7/1990): 1019 lbs

Real World #'s: 85° mid-west summer day @ 2k MSL WOT results in 2550 RPM & 160MPH indicated (original wheel pants available but need re-fitted) / 350° CHT [single probe on cyl 4] / 1400 EGT / 210° oil temp / oil pressure starts ~80 and settles 70-72 PSI in cruise. Cover oil cooler w/aluminium tape to keep temps up in the winter; generally don't fly under 30° ambient resulting in 160° oil temps. On a hot days (high 80's & 90's) I'll level off at 1k AGL to keep CHT under 400° for a few minutes; from there, the 'heat soak' from departure is dissipated and I don't have any climb restrictions that I've self imposed--the plane is well baffled and I get consistent figures.

General Notes:
- Re-painted 1994.
- Slosh removed from left tank 2010; nothing in logs about right tank but NO slosh present.
- Elevator skins replaced w/0.20 gauge and presently unpainted.
- Current configuration for passenger is stick only
- Inverted fuel (flop tube left tank/Ellison TBI) and oil (Christen).
- Reiff preheat (x2 100w oil sump strips) since 2013
- Vinces 'Screaming Eagle' tailwheel assy / 2014
- Prop refinished (by builder @ Props Inc) /2014
- Ellison TBI overhauled by Ellison /2014.
- New slick mags / 2017.
- Cowl hinges were starting to zipper pretty bad and began repairs this spring (original halves that were still good remain the old "rolled" hinge). / 2018
- Wheel pants available, need glass work and re-fitted
- Case or two of oil & case of filters, few quarts of CamGuard, light canopy & prop cover, and other misc stuff that can go with her

Transponder needs an inspection if your mission requires you fly in controlled airspace. Manifold pressure gauge INOP (needs re-plumbed to #4). Electric Turn Coordinator INOP. Intercom INOP (passes through to radio without issue; I fly solo 99% of the time). A solid old build that's ready for a panel that fits your mission. Mine has always been fun VFR days to toss myself around with some gentleman's aerobatics, so I've not thrown money at anything panel related until I was ready to go all the way.

Summarized Logs (PDF):
https://stratosphereit-my.sharepoint...g6I-A?e=7Hzaj9

Want to fly before you buy? Either--

(1) Meet the open pilot clause: 500 total logged flying hours, including at least 100 hours in aircraft having conventional landing gear, of which not less than 25 hours shall have been in a Van's conventional gear aircraft.
-or-
(2) Bring a check: We exchange check for keys; if you decide not to proceed after flying then you get the check back.

More Pictures:
Album - Summer 2017
Note: American flag has since been re-hung to be in the correct orientation. D'oh!

Album - Up Close
Note: The second album's purpose is to get up close and personal. "Warts and all" so to speak.

The story and the 'why'....

I will soon be self-employed as I take a leap to start my own business with a few of my close colleagues. Due to this and the potential for the next few years to be a financially tumultuous period, I find it irresponsible to continue being the sole owner of an RV-4 I’ve enjoyed since 2013. As a result, I’m offering it up for sale to the right buyer.

The plane flies hands off, is legal, and I believe a good potential restoration project. My original plan has been to fly it until it needs the high dollar FWF treatment and then restore but it’s been >200/hrs and 5 years and hasn't given me any reason to pull the engine. Oil consumption and compression have remained consistent (compression did dip for cyl 1 & 3 this last inspection, but it had not accumulated a lot of recent hours and I suspect if another check is done today, those compression's would read normal.) Perfectly happy to accommodate ahead of schedule (currently planned at next oil change) for a serious buyer.

I will say that I’m not willing to arbitrarily start pulling cylinders for potential buyers. I understand it’s not practical to pass along the trust in this engine I’ve built over the past 5 years and so the price reflects that. I fully expect this engine to continue performing for a number of years but the fact remains that it’s last MOH was in 1985 and ~1500/hrs ago and by virtue of numbers alone, it's inevitable that some prospective buyers have already stopped reading.

This aircraft was built by A&P Bob Olds, his first of two RV-4’s and who is most notable for creating many of the early RV landing light systems. The aircraft does have a damage history from early in it’s life--Bob enjoyed going in and out of unimproved fields. He experienced a prop striking dirt that ~20/hrs later resulted in Bob performing the MOH in 1985. He was later experimenting with a new design of controllable pitch prop for RV-4 applicability that, on the third flight, a blade separated on take off. The engine was secured but a hard landing resulted in a broken engine mount at the gear attach points, firewall torn at mount attach, both wings dented by taxi lights. If it sounds like I’m reading from the logs--I am. All repairs made 1988-90 by Bob, updating weldments, etc. all per newsletters at the time. Aircraft was returned to service by Bob, who did 4/hrs of flight testing, aerobatics up to +4/-2. It's been 30 or so years since any of that--it doesn't bother me but might others which is why I state it freely.

All this to say--this is not some pristine RV built in the past 10 years with modern techniques and the internet/VAF as a resource. It’s serial number 126 and was reportedly the 8th -4 to fly. It’s been a workhorse of a plane over it’s 35 year life and an absolute joy to fly. A wonderful first plane. I may talk myself into keeping it, if I’m not careful but need to at least give this a try.

All original airframe/engine logs exist in hand. I’ll be working on scanning to make digital but I do have a doc (link here again) containing a summary I created from original logs of maintenance highlights. I found numerous mathematical errors (nothing egregious) so I believe my 'summary' figures to be more accurate than those in the logbooks and is the reason why the two may not match exactly. Original plans available; numerous receipts from both myself and previous owners. I’ll tell you whatever I know or can know because it’s just the way I operate. Even if it means I lose a few dollars on a sale--I’ll sleep well at night. So ask away. If I don’t know an answer, I’ll try and find it.

Lastly, I know this price point is going to attract a lot of tire kickers as it’s bringing an RV-4 into the "attainability" market for some. These are amazing machines and as much as I’d love to just give joy rides, I don’t have the time for it. I also don't have a lot of time for people that might be interested once they "get their finances together in another month." I've included tons of detail to give a clear representation of the aircraft and am happy to answer questions for serious buyers but please, don't waste my time if you aren't in the market to buy.

Above is my 'open pilot' clause--if you got the time, I’ll give you the keys and go have fun. Otherwise, you’ll have to come with a check to trade for the keys--if you decide against the deal, you get the check back. Bring your own mechanic or I can put you in touch with the shop whom have done all my CI’s and supervised owner assisted work.

Last edited by Nate-ISU : Yesterday at 03:42 PM. Reason: Price Decreased from 29,900
Old 09-06-2018, 07:51 AM

Wow, I wish all aircraft ads were this thorough. Good luck with the sale! Someone will get a good aircraft.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:15 PM

Thanks, Rob. It took some time to write up but I figure it's a fair trade off for keeping the passing inquiries to a minimum. I think the plane is a good candidate to restore on the new owners schedule. Fly as is and bite off small upgrades or go all out.

That was my plan ...and may still be if life will have it but figure I aught to give her an honest shot at a new home.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:44 PM

I'd just like to offer a word of encouragement to anyone who's new to RVs and looking for an RV & can't (or is unwilling) to pay premium price for a show plane. I've never met Nate or seen his plane, but it sounds somewhat similar to the -4 I've owned for about 15 years.

Warts are warts, but they are very rarely cancer, and very rarely affect function. If the build is good (as mine is, and likely Nate's is) and maintenance has been reasonable, these planes 'just work'. In 15 years of owning this one, and about 7 years owning my previous -4, I can't remember any 'surprises' at annual, and I've never paid an A&P more than $200 for his inspection (my labor for all the prep & normal maintenance).

Point is, though it's sometimes difficult to believe with some of the stuff you may read here, you don't have to spend $100K, or even $40K, to get a very good airplane.

Nate, good luck with the sale; mine will follow yours to market at some point in the future, if I can ever finish the -7.

Charlie
Old 09-12-2018, 09:58 AM

Still available. Price negotiable, within reason of course.
Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

Price reduced to $27,500.