VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-30-2018, 08:27 PM

Default Call from FAA

Hello all you avionics experts. I just received a phone call followed by an email from the FAA stating the following:
ďThis letter is providing written notification that the FAA has monitored flights by this aircraft in which the installed ADS-B Out system failed to comply with equipment performance requirements specified in 14 CFR ß91.227.Ē
I do not have ADS-B Out. I have the standard dynon skyview system used on many ELSA rv-12ís, sn 278. I believe it is a mode S Trig transponder,(not home to confirm).
Has anyone out there experienced this?.
The email went on to say I must resolve the issue within 45 days but I am uncertain how to do this.
I guess I will visit an avionics shop next week.

Thanks in advance.
Tom O.
Olympia WA

the bitterness of poor quality
lingers long after the cheap
price is forgotten.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:37 PM

If you have the Dynon transponder you are most likely broadcasting ADS-B out. If you have the low power transponder or the non-2020 GPS receiver, this could be your problem. Call Dynon or me tomorrow and they or I can help you disable your ads-b out until you can become compliant.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:39 PM

Got an email and a phone call from the FAA. I donít have ADSB out yet so like you I was surprised. Iíve got the Trig TT-31 mode S transponder without a GPS source. When I talked to the SE region FAA rep he was very nice and said no worries as long as I equip by 2020. What flagged it was the lack of GPS position. I suspect the closer we get to the deadline, the more this is going to happen. No 75 day deadline. Iím not an attorney or with the FAA but the last time I checked, the deadline is January 1, 2020, and then only in airspace that requires it.
Flying as of August 14, 2015
Old 08-30-2018, 10:22 PM

I got one. Turned out I fat fingered the hexadecimal ICAO code. Reentered the code and everybody was happy. You can get a detailed report of what the issue is by requesting a report at:

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

They get back o you by email in less than an hour 24/7.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:23 PM

BTW the FAA told me the letters are only advisory until 2020 when they have to be acted on.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:25 AM

I received a registered letter from the FAA FSDO in Houston about the same thing. However, there are a few issues: 1) my airplane does not have ADS-B, 2) the letter states I was flying around HOU at 1145P thru 0200A. 3) During that time period my airplane was securely in it's hangar in Omaha, NE, unflyable due to being in the middle of it's condition inspection. and 4) it was identified by an N# that is only reserved for future use, I have not even applied to put it into use yet.

A search of variations of my reserved N# turned up no active aircraft even close.

I wonder why FAA personnel are monitoring the movements of aircraft? Maybe time to get a tin-foil hat?

Weird.

George
Old 08-31-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlndRvtr View Post
I received a registered letter from the FAA FSDO in Houston about the same thing. However, there are a few issues: 1) my airplane does not have ADS-B, 2) the letter states I was flying around HOU at 1145P thru 0200A. 3) During that time period my airplane was securely in it's hangar in Omaha, NE, unflyable due to being in the middle of it's condition inspection. and 4) it was identified by an N# that is only reserved for future use, I have not even applied to put it into use yet.

A search of variations of my reserved N# turned up no active aircraft even close.

I wonder why FAA personnel are monitoring the movements of aircraft? Maybe time to get a tin-foil hat?

Weird.

George
Likely somebody else used the mode-s code associated with your N number in his ADS-B equipment. Just last weekend I followed in another airplane on landing and the N number I received from him via ADS-B didnít match the one he was reporting on the radio or had painted on the airplane. No idea if that was intentional or if he had just made a typo setting the ADS-B up. I told him on the radio what I saw and he said Thank you .... .

Oliver
http://www.spatscheck.com/oliver
Old 08-31-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlndRvtr View Post

Weird.

George

I suspect this will be the biggest headache for ADSB. As long as there are humans entering the ICAO codes, their are going to be typos. It's just random bad luck that somebody put your code in by accident.

There is an easy method to check even if you don't have ADSB installed. Just request a PAPR periodically for your aircraft. If they respond with a report that has data, you know somebody is masquerading as your aircraft.

For those with the Dynon 261 transponder, just install the Dynon ADSB compatible GPS puck or connect a certified GPS to the transponder and you should be good to go. The Dynon 472 works well as a receiver for ADSB-IN.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:17 AM

Along the lines of your aircraft being tracked around Houston when it was actually in the hanger..... I looked on one of the flight tracking software for my N number and saw there was a flight from Fort Lauderdale to Stuart, Florida. My plane has never been any further south than Lakeland for Sun N Fun. There's even a photo of my plane just above the posted flight path. That photo was taken by someone of me leaving Sun N Fun several years ago. I don't know how this happens. I thought maybe ATC keyed in the wrong N number or something like that.
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$
Old 08-31-2018, 11:18 AM

My Freeflight unit broadcasts both my N#:and ICAO code. Thatís how FAA found me.