VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-29-2018, 05:44 PM

Default Engine choices

Yes it is way too early for me to be worried about engine options.

But I am working on my long term financial plan for attempting to build this 10.

That being said the engine is a major portion of cost associated with this whole thing.

I just got a quote from a well known engine builder and almost fainted.

Tried getting a quote from another very well known engine builder and so far I have received no response. (Waiting 2 weeks)

The way I see it I have a few options:

* New Lycoming from Vans
* New Lycoming or Titan from an engine builder
* Luck up and find a runable mid time engine
* Take a gamble and find and overhaul a first run engine
* other???

Seems Vans new price along with the $1000 off prop combo deal is hard to beat?

What did everyone else do?

These things get more expensive every year so waiting forever may not be a good idea....
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Working on Emp/Tail Cone
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 08-29-2018, 06:14 PM

I lucked out and found a late model VERY low time IO-540 that had a mild prop strike from Wentworth. They had it advertised in trade a plane as an “RV-10 Special” with free shipping. I had $13K invested by the time I as done having all the components checked out and yellow tagged for an engine with only 291 hours TTSN. I ended up replacing the cylinder power assemblies with new ones after flying it for a little over 100 hours due to oil blow by but still had only $20K into it when I was done. A lot cheaper than buying new but at the time I did not have open checkbook to buy new. Obviously not for everyone but I lucked out with a good solid and dependable engine.

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 08-29-2018, 06:22 PM

I share same sentiment. It's absolutely BS what the chinese are doing to the market, rather what the American companies are allowing them to do. Clearly the acquisitions that happened even a couple years ago has made the engine market worse with the pathetically ill parts supply chain. The heads at these companies should be fired for such pathetic and embarrassing supply chain failures. But thats how monopolies and corporate politics are. This was extremely frustrating. I reluctantly had to throw in the towel on this. Totally takes the fun away. I just downloaded the forms at Vans, filled them out, and succumbed to the tried and true. Hindsight it forced me to buy a conforming engine that likely will render better value in the plane, short term and long term. I guess
For my RV-8, I settled for the 180hp parallel valve Lycoming with standard Hartzell prop bundled package. I hope I am not regretting the lesser HP when I finally fly this thing.
There just is not any options right now. Maybe in 2 more years the manufacturing companies will get there act together and high performance will be available again.
If you need the engine now like I do, just go to Vans, and get it done, move on to getting the plane built.

Last edited by ksdflying : 08-29-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:51 PM

Default Barrett

Barrett for me...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues Paid 2018,...Thanks DR+
Old 08-29-2018, 08:27 PM

The cheapest option should be to but a runout and overhaul it with a pro looking over your shoulder....
48X
Old 08-29-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConner View Post
The cheapest option should be to but a runout and overhaul it with a pro looking over your shoulder....
I looked at that really hard and couldn't make it work for me. First problem was finding a core without more hours on it than I was comfortable with. Second problem was that a -10 is an expensive airplane and carries 4 people. The fact that Barrett (and others) test runs the engine is worth a lot for me given the situation.

However, if I had the stones to build another engine (I did the -320 in my RV-6) and could get past the test run issue, I could have saved ~$20K versus the BPE price by buying a core and rebuilding it myself. That would have netted new cylinders, cam, followers, accessories, with remanufactured crank, case, rods, etc.

I ultimately went Barrett. The brand new from Van's engine/prop deal was very enticing too.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 08-29-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConner View Post
What's the chances that it would need a new crank or case or other high dollar component?
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Working on Emp/Tail Cone
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 08-29-2018, 09:34 PM

Default another thought...

I understand the want to save money, however...

The RV-10 IS NOT an inexpensive build. This should be very apparent BEFORE starting the build.

The LAST place that I would try and save money would be the engine.

Your three other passengers, which could very well be your family, would probably agree.

Just my opinion...it's kind of like buying a mattress.

You spend nearly 1/3 of your life on that mattress; Do you really want to buy a cheap one?

Barrett is certainly not the cheapest (or the most expensive) way to go, however, they have been doing it for a very long time. There is piece of mind there...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues Paid 2018,...Thanks DR+
Old 08-29-2018, 09:56 PM

One consideration in selecting the engine that was passed on to me by a very experienced builder was the resale value. Anything other than a zero time engine in new airframe will reduce the resale value and reduce the number of buyers who will consider your aircraft. Even a 1000 hour airframe is less valuable if the engine has more than the 1000 hours on the airframe.

While I am not planning on selling my RV-10 anytime soon, the time will come some day. So with the combination of the safety considerations expressed above, plus resale value impacts, and the potential increased time/effort that would be required to install a different engine than the IO-540 that the RV-10 is designed around, I made the decision to order the engine & prop as a package from Van's.

One other suggestion. Don't purchase the engine until you are about ready to install it. The warranty clock starts when the engine ships to you, and while Lycoming did a great job of preserving my engine, I would like to have warranty still in effect when I do my first start. (Just realize that delivery is several months after you place the order, so take that into account when deciding when to place your order.)

Best of luck with your build.

RV-10 Finishing Kit & FWF in-progress
2018 VAF Dues Paid
Old 08-29-2018, 10:24 PM

I bought a mid time engine from LyCon in Visalia CA. They topped it, ported and 10:1 pistons. I’m happy after 200 hours and price less than half of new.