- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2018, 09:26 AM

Default Canopy hinge cover and paint

Just wondering what others have done when they painted or had their plane painted. Did you install the cover or had it separately painted. My concern is that if it get painted installed, then removing it might cause issues.

Any experience/thoughts would be appreciate it.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:32 AM

What issues are you concerned about?
H
Old 08-25-2018, 10:21 AM

The covers on both RV-14 prototypes were painted separately, with masking to prevent paint build-up in the flanges that the covers rest in.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 08-25-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discus2b View Post
What issues are you concerned about?
H
With the tight fitting and since I will be using base/clear, the concern is that it will bond it to the fuselage and if I need to remove it, it will break the paint. I also have the same concern with the tank, if tanks are not removed to be painted separately but that has a bigger gap and might not get bonded.

Thanks Scott, I was hoping to hear from you and your experience.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:48 PM

Default Trim

RV plastic Steve Melton has made a nice cover that is easily removed and can be painted and is water tight I have them on my 14A
Old 09-06-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild dogg View Post
RV plastic Steve Melton has made a nice cover that is easily removed and can be painted and is water tight I have them on my 14A
Although I have been following his post but I have not seen these. Do you have a pix or link to them?
I actually would be very interested in a couple of other items that he can easily make. One is a cover for the "open" canopy switch.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
Although I have been following his post but I have not seen these. Do you have a pix or link to them?
I actually would be very interested in a couple of other items that he can easily make. One is a cover for the "open" canopy switch.
https://www.rvplasticparts.com/produ...py-hinge-cover

I ordered some. I've been building up the kit parts and test fitted them - "OK" but the little spring retainers are very easy to bend too much while installing. If the plastic ones are paintable/sealable they're ideal for me - even if only "sealable" a nice improvement for ease of use.
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Old 09-06-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
https://www.rvplasticparts.com/produ...py-hinge-cover

I ordered some. I've been building up the kit parts and test fitted them - "OK" but the little spring retainers are very easy to bend too much while installing. If the plastic ones are paintable/sealable they're ideal for me - even if only "sealable" a nice improvement for ease of use.
One thing to keep in mind is that the kit supplied parts are purposely designed to be fragile to some degree. This is to assure that if the pilot ever chooses to jettison the canopy in flight, that it will (I.E., the hinge seals will not impede the hinge arms from lifting out of the slots).

If you choose to disable the jettison function then it doesn't really matter what you use to cover the openings, but if you have installed the jettison system and you ever expect it to function as designed, I suggest you use the covers supplied in the kit.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 09-06-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the link, I just ordered a set and hope they arrive before I take the plane for painting. I will be curious to see how much the stick out, they are not flush like VANs original.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that the kit supplied parts are purposely designed to be fragile to some degree. This is to assure that if the pilot ever chooses to jettison the canopy in flight, that it will (I.E., the hinge seals will not impede the hinge arms from lifting out of the slots).

If you choose to disable the jettison function then it doesn't really matter what you use to cover the openings, but if you have installed the jettison system and you ever expect it to function as designed, I suggest you use the covers supplied in the kit.
Good point Scott. Question: I am installing jettison handle, but only intend it for use as emergency ground egress - no intention to do aerobatics or carry a 'chute. Would you agree that a plastic piece should be "defeatable" to remove canopy on the ground if latch is not usable?
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/